Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Simpatico Springs WGT Tour

Sat, Jan 29 2022 8:40 AM (2,179 replies)
  • VinnyGoombotz
    322 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2021 5:45 PM

Shot 67 for the final round,too little to late .Bret this tournament has left me speachless . You are one of a kind . , its amazing that i competed againist the top player of all time on WGT ,Fragments and so many other good players. This was not about winning as much as it was about the tournament itself and the fun. Thank you for allowing me to take part in this great event. Your friend    Vinny

• almancini
    203 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2021 6:57 PM

74 for Almancini .Going to miss this comp.WGT highlight of the week for me everybody played with fun and had a laugh along the way.Thanks Brett for all your hard work and generosity.Regards Al

• Cas57
    3,036 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2021 7:14 PM

66 for me to finish it off on Bo4's.  Thanks for organizing and doing this, it was quite a bit of fun! 

• marcfive
    1,452 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 5:06 AM

A solid no bogey 67 for my final round. 16 of 18 fairways and 15 greens. I can't thank Brett enough for hosting this multi-CC year long evet. He puts in a lot of time and effort every week for our enjoyment. Thank You.

Marc

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 7:54 AM

With almost half of the field in the clubhouse with their final scores, there is much to be decided. JBIII9 has the lead in the clubhouse at -16, but marcfive is still out on the course and still maintains his lead of -19. Wags700 shot a final round 68, getting to -14, good enough for a temporary 2nd place in the clubhouse for the Championship, but he still remains behind marcfive and two other players out on the course (AlaskanDame & almancini).

This BOP 4 course has proved to be a challenge here in the final round and there is a lot left to be decided. Who will be crowned the 2021 Simpatico Springs Tour Champion?

EDIT: LATE BREAKING NEWS... marcfive is in the clubhouse with the lead at -20

EDIT: LEADERBOARD UPDATE

Player Total Total R1 R2 R3 R4 Handicap
    -6 marcfive -20 266.32 67 66 67 71 4.33

almancini -17 269.00 65 64 71 70 -4.25
    -10 JBIII9 -16 270.32 68 73 68 72 1.83

VinnyGoombotz -15 270.68 69 68 67 66 -0.83

AlaskanDame -14 200.25 66 67 68

wags700 -14 272.32 66 70 67 68 4.33

kasia1967 -11 274.68 72 70 66 66 1.17

BStanley6 -11 203.25 71 66 67

callaghan159 -10 203.74 66 72 67

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 12:06 PM

64 for me at Best of Par 4s this week.  Like the course itself, my play was pretty lackluster.

Brett - thank you so much for hosting this tournament.  You did a terrific job, and I'm sure it was quite a chore for you at times, especially with the amount of time required.

To everyone who played - I very much enjoyed reading your descriptions of your rounds every week.  It made this event fun.  Cheers to all of you.  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season, however you choose to celebrate, and a terrific new year!

🎅🎄🌟✡🥂

• BStanley6
    1,179 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 5:21 PM

I fully intended to play this one early in the week but life & some poor form has made me put it off till today. Keeping an eye on the leaderboard it looks like I'm going to have to shoot career best numbers of around 14 under off the stick for a win & around 10 under for the podium( so very unlikely). I think this will be the first live report given for tourney as I've just made the turn I thought I'd send a Live report in on the front 9 before heading out for the back 9.

The nerves are a tingling & the butterflys are fluttering as we load up the new weekly tourney & it's one of my least fave holes up first at PB #1 & the usual drive into the rough to start as I get the wind direction wrong again & come up short of the fairway but a good approach from the 40-50 sees me with an 11 foot uphiller for Birdie which lips out & I'm thinking it's going to be one of those days

The second sees my approach with my 75 yard wedge stop 2 feet from the pin for a tap in birdie & starting to get feel a bit better about my game. The 3rd sees me shave the hole with a 20 footer from the fringe & it's back to thinking it's not going to be my day today.

Nothing exciting on 4th but the 5th sees me again stick my 75 yard wedge to 2 feet for a tap in birdie to go 2 under or square on handicap.The 6th is another hate hole at PB #8 & again my drive rolls miles into the rough but stops before totally killing my round & going over the edge & my approach is long leaving a 20 footer that I aim 2 grids wide & it just fades at the end to again shave the hole aaaghhh 1% harder & it's in. 

The 7th sees me late on the ding on approach & leave it pin high but 8 feet wide & it's another lip out putt & I'm thinking that's it now as too many shots dropped so far already to be in with any chance. The 8th sees another hole shaver as I miss an 8 footer by about a balls width & think let's just enjoy the rest of the round & not worry about the leaderboard. 

The 9th is a good drive to the fairway just short of the green & a 22 foot flop sees me with an easy tap in for birdie to make the turn at 3 under which I think on handicap makes it 1 under. 

I'm off to play the back 9 now as it approaches midday here in Sydney where it's a hot and muggy day after a week of rain. I'm hoping for a miracle now to get on the podium but the story of most rounds with just too many late dings on approaches leaving longer putts then I'd like & ball just won't drop in the hole for too many missed putts but I guess that's why I'm a legend averaging 65.something (It only drops as I'm saturated & realistically I'm probably about 68) & not a lot higher.

• BStanley6
    1,179 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 6:48 PM

Well that's a wrap for the SS WGT Tour for me. I've thoroughly enjoyed this event & only wish I'd stumbled across it earlier as I only joined about halfway through it. A massive Thanks to Brett for putting it on & keeping it all running smoothly (At least from this side but I'm sure not so much on your side) & I for one really hope you change your mind or someone else is able to put it on again next year (I reckon I can get a few from my cc into it as they've shown a bit of interest but was too late to join this year).

I've really enjoyed the reports each week & will miss having a read of some of the more in depth & the funny ones as always good fun to see how everyone's round is going & seeing you all suffer the same problems with the game that I do & as someone else mentioned earlier it's amazing to be able to share a leaderboard with one of the true legends of WGT in fmagnets (Thanks for the help, you Sir are a true Gentleman & it was greatly appreciated) & giving me the chance to not only appear on but be in front of occasionally on a leaderboard.

I've signed off with a 68 around BOP4 where the back pretty much matched the front with too many missed opportunity's on top of a really bad first round at Torrey ruined any chance of a podium finish.

Congratulations to the final podium finishers you've really deserved it.

The B9 reads as follows - 

A great start with a 6I approach to 3 feet for a Birdie to go 4 under (maybe a chance ????)

11 - Late on ding with approach sees a 20 footer slide agonisingly close again.

12 - 22 feet long on approach leaves me scratching my head as to how but I finally sink a birdie putt to get to 5 under.

13 - The Congo 18 horror hole where for me the 35 yard drop in elevation on approach is a mystery as sometimes it seems to come into play & other it doesn't. I'm miles late on the ding as I probably panic dinged late as I've sent a million balls Left into water I'm thinking water on the right this time but it lands just on the green 55 feet from home. I aim 3 grids wide & hit the putt which looks good but I swear its rolled straight over the hole & leaves a tricky 5 footer but I drop it in for par.

14 - My approach rolls a lot further then hoped leaving an 18 foot downhiller that looks good but just swings late as it runs out of puff & sits a cup or so wide.

15 - A disappointing approach as I'm late on my 100 yard wedge & leave a 12 foot side putt that never looked online but tap in par.

16 - Another head scratcher as my approach goes 7 yards longer then usual & was into the wind also. A late in swinger that'd be a beauty on the MCG or Lords (Cricket reference for those scratching their heads) but not what you want at Kiawah leaves me with another close putt but unfortunately close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades & not in putting..

17 -  A heartbeat approach that rolls back down & I'm hoping for a hole out but it rolls inches past the hole & leaves me a 4 footer. I calculate the putt & work out my aim while still thinking how close that was. In all the excitement my caddy has handed me the 10 metre putter & not the 20 & the putt just dribbles a few inches & I start to fume.

18 - Still fuming from the blown birdie on 17 it's my arch nemesis hole in WGT the 17th at St Andrews just to really rub it in (I track my stats each round & since I started 669 rounds ago I have 16 pars & 12 bogeys on the hole from hell to make it my worst hole statistically to play). My drive is slightly early & just trickles into teh rough. I manage to land my 3I onthe green but it can't hold & runs off teh back. I flop on but it runs a lot further then expected & in typical STA17 fashion I miss the 7 footer to put my only blemish on the card for the final round.

All the best for the festive period coming up to all my fellow SS WGT tour players, Stay safe & I hope to see you out on the course sometime & hopefully in some form of this event next year :)

Cheers

Brett

• DufferJohn7
    3,561 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 10:11 PM
    Wrapping up this year's tour on Best of Par 4's put together a pretty decent 17 holes. Sadly, the game requires one to play 18. LOL Was -2 on the 6th tee (PB#8), strong quartering wind, worked out the shot to be an 80% full driver, aimed left of the fairway. Dead eye John goes and hits a 90% full driver and watched it go into the ocean. After a bit more hacking about walk off the green with a nice 7. Ahh stroke play is such a cruel game. Anyway, finishing a very fun year long tournament : Wk 49 18 HSO Best of Par 4's - 68 Thank you Brett for runing this. Everyone have a safe and happy holiday season, Have fun and hit 'em straight, John
  • beerstine
    656 Posts
    Thu, Dec 2 2021 2:21 AM

Salvaged some of my dignity with a good round of 62 in this final event of the tour.  Too late to overcome my early bad rounds this month, but leaves me feeling good.

To Brett, a huge thank you for organizing this and for all the work you put into this tourney.  I'm sorry to hear this didn't work out the way you intended and won't be continuing, though I'd gladly play again if someone wants to take on the struggle.  Nothing has forced me to improve my game more in the last year than this tournament.  There were tantalizingly close calls at the top of the leaderboard and some bad blown opportunities, but also some magnificent rounds that had me competitive with far more experienced and accomplished players than I could have imagined when this started.

Here's hoping one of my FAPC club mates can hold on and take this tournament and the overall title.  I think we've done ourselves proud throughout this long journey of a tourney.

RSS