Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Linux

rated by 0 users
Mon, Dec 21 2020 10:35 AM (5 replies)
  • CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Fri, Dec 18 2020 6:14 PM

Does anyone know if the new version can be played on Linux ?

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Fri, Dec 18 2020 7:09 PM

I use Linux exclusively. Windows is not on my PC. I initially ran the game with the standalone by using wine to fetch the .msi but since have accessed the game by way of Steam which a novice Linux user is likely to find easier.

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Sat, Dec 19 2020 6:08 AM

BogeyOne:

I use Linux exclusively. Windows is not on my PC. I initially ran the game with the standalone by using wine to fetch the .msi but since have accessed the game by way of Steam which a novice Linux user is likely to find easier.

Thanks

• GRutledge1
    28 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2020 8:55 AM

BogeyOne, any chance you can share how you managed to use wine to fetch the .msi file? I attempted to do that and it crashed from what I can tell was a problem with Generic San fonts not found. Maybe some specifics on what you're running?

I have managed to make it run on Linux Mint (LMDE 4 64bit using Xfce desktop) by copying the C:\Windows\Fonts and C:\Program Files (x86)\Topgolf directories to the /home/myuserid/.wine/drive_c corresponding directories and then creating a desktop launcher (aka windows shortcut) to run "wine '/home/myuserid/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Topgolf/WGTLauncher/Launcher.exe"

Thanks

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2020 4:50 PM

GRutledge1:

BogeyOne, any chance you can share how you managed to use wine to fetch the .msi file? I attempted to do that and it crashed from what I can tell was a problem with Generic San fonts not found. Maybe some specifics on what you're running?

Thanks

I am running Linux Mint Ulyana but was using a previous version when I did the .msi thing with wine. All I had to do was enter

https://standalone.wgt.com/earlyaccess/WGTLauncher.msi for the  url address and then click on it and bingo, wine did the trick. When I decided to use the Steam client for the game I purged wine from my system since that was all I wanted it for and Steam does not require it.

I tried to reinstall wine to see if it would still access the standalone only to find out that wine seems unavailable for my current and I suppose subsequent versions of Linux mint.

Therefore, it looks like if Linux users want to play wgt then they will have to download the Steam platform. It is free and easy. Here is the link: https://store.steampowered.com/

Once there look for the Install Steam button on the top right of the page.

• GRutledge1
    28 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2020 10:35 AM

BogeyOne:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The standalone.wgt.com webpage is something I had searched for and never found anywhere. I personally use wine for a couple applications so I'll go that route but hopefully any other Linux users can benefit from our discussion.

Cheers

RSS