Forums

Help › Forums

Re: RIP Peter Alliss

Mon, Dec 7 2020 6:44 AM (6 replies)
  • bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2020 10:27 AM

Just heard the British golfer , but perhaps more widely known TV golf commentator has died today aged 89. Very sad , and British golf commentary will not be the same without him . Condolences to family and friends .

• mystry78
    880 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2020 2:12 PM

I always enjoyed his work, especially at the Open. RIP.

Thanks for posting.

Frank

• AndyJames123
    77 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2020 6:46 PM

the greatest storyteller of all time, thankyou peter alliss rip

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2020 12:14 AM

Peter's humorous style of commentating was great, very sad to hear of his passing.

Rest In Peace Peter.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2020 12:19 AM

He was very good, along with Johnny Miller the best commentators I ever heard.

Sadly I never heard Henry Longhurst who I believe was the mentor for Peter Alliss, when u can come out with a quote that says if u call on God to help ur shot whilst in motion then u are subject to a penalty for using an outside agency, that has to be special.

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2020 3:32 AM

RIP Peter .

'He's gone ga-ga' - Alliss' most memorable quotes

• "What on earth are you doing? He's gone ga-ga. To attempt to hit the ball out of there is pure madness." - his iconic description of Frenchman Jean van de Velde throwing away a three-shot lead on the final hole of the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie.
    • "It's like turning up to hear Pavarotti sing and finding out he has laryngitis." - reflecting on Tiger Woods shooting a third-round 81 at the 2002 Open.
    • "Looks a bit like Jurassic Park in there." - describing the rough on the 14th at Royal St George's, which hosted the 2003 Open.
    • "One of the good things about rain in Scotland is that most of it ends up as scotch." - on poor weather conditions during a tournament in Scotland.
  • YouLostToALoser
    190 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2020 6:44 AM

bossbird:

Just heard the British golfer , but perhaps more widely known TV golf commentator has died today aged 89. Very sad , and British golf commentary will not be the same without him . Condolences to family and friends .

I have no words to describe how bad this is, for his family, but mainly for watching the Open on TV. 

He always had just the right words for every situation and the tone to go with it...if only he could give us one more witty commentary on this, as only he could.

Sad day for Golf... the David Attenborough of Golf and then some. He played at my club a few times.

RIP Peter Alliss. Golfing Great, Commentary Legend.

RSS