Forums

Help › Forums

Re: It Was Never About the Game

Tue, Oct 13 2020 4:19 AM (8 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 3:44 PM

I was responding to a message to someone about their CC's plan for making adjustments to the changes and new modalities. Their club appears to have a great plan and an even better attitude about all of it. 

In that context, it occurred to me. It was never about the game. The game is simply a vehicle to make new friends and form communities. Absolutely, within that context, we want the best possible gaming experience. I get that. And it's more important to some than others. I don't mean this as an indication that I'm making excuses for WGT.

But what I don't understand is all the people claiming they'll leave after December 29 simply because they dislike the new modality. Now, I realize a lot of those individuals are just venting. They're not all going to leave. 

But why leave at all? Aspects of the game remain the same--the relationships and friendships we form through the discussion boards or through our country clubs. Those remain. For me, those things are much more important than the game. Always will be.

Just my 2 cents. 

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 4:07 PM

Well said Sir , 

OPY

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 4:30 PM

Robert1893:
    It was never about the game.

In a nutshell.

When Olympic first came out I had the pleasure of playing a round with MisterWGT. For those that don't know, he started this addiction with the goal in mind to form a world wide community with a common thread-golf.

We had a good conversation during the round and I was able to pick his brain as to the future of WGT. The gist of his answer was that it was all about the community. His vision was exactly what this game has turned out to be-all about the community.

I have friends I would never have, the majority of which I'll never see face to face but feel like I've known forever. The community that has evolved with this game is solid, resplendent with all the nuances that come from a diverse conglomeration of societies, good and bad. The good triumphs here and I have an immense respect for the people that make this refuge up. 

The new version of the game throws me back to Hack Central on the greens for now but I'm not about to throw away 11 years of making good friends. I'll just be the Hack for a while when the time comes. After all, it's about the relationships with golf being the glue that binds us.  :-)

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 4:40 PM

+1,000,000 Very well said indeed, Robert and you too, Jim.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 4:44 PM

@Robert

Very well penned. While I have no interest in learning the new version, I certainly plan to stick around and take part in the forums. The only thing that will end (some say mercifully) is my actual playing. 

ct

• Bowl64
    3,085 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 5:08 PM

Your wisdom is great Robert, talked to an old pal yesterday

on Skype about that very thing :)))

Stay safe and well

Bjorn

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2020 3:47 AM

Yeppers, haven't even looked at the new version, but, when forced to, I'll stick around. After nine years, it ain't about the game, too many memories.

Doc :)

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2020 4:07 AM

The gamer's , the competitive , the young bucks will move on to their next big thing .

They are not really golfer's but winning fanatics .

Most of the oldie's here have achieved their skill level and are now not that more ambitious to tier up .

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2020 4:19 AM

So that only leaves us oldie's.

RSS