Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Real or fake?

Sun, Mar 17 2024 9:48 AM (63 replies)
  • MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2022 12:34 PM

ScottHope:

Cool, I was going to say don't be too ambitious, but you've done this kind of thing before so I am expecting a 3D movie before teatime, lol.  ; )

Oh, I agree with the hands on approach. More enjoyable if nothing else.

You hadn't joined when I made some videos on WGT, using something called Xtranormal.  Andyson found it first and made a video, can't remember exactly what it was.  I then had a go and came up with the idea of the WGT Weekly News video...

https://www.wgt.com/forums/t/91487.aspx?PageIndex=1

https://www.wgt.com/forums/t/90144.aspx?PageIndex=1

https://www.wgt.com/forums/t/92817.aspx?pageindex=1

https://www.wgt.com/forums/t/94144.aspx?PageIndex=1

For reasons I will keep to myself, I didn't do any more after that.  The videos are still on my Youtube channel too, along with a rather interesting video of me attempting to play St Andrews F9 using nothing more than a punched driver... FOR EVERY SHOT!  It's a lot harder than it looks, but well worth a go.  And if you do have a go, be sure to use starter balls!

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2022 1:20 PM

I know I have seen those videos before because they are quite memorable, but I don't think I found them via this website, I was probably searching YouTube for something WGT related. How long did it take you to make one?

I've seen people putting before using a punched driver, but not playing every shot like it. I'd be there forever, lol.

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2022 5:04 PM

ScottHope:

I know I have seen those videos before because they are quite memorable, but I don't think I found them via this website, I was probably searching YouTube for something WGT related. How long did it take you to make one?

I've seen people putting before using a punched driver, but not playing every shot like it. I'd be there forever, lol.

What took the longest was trying to get material that might be of interest.  I think it normally took a couple of days to make the video (put the text together, type it all in, add various hand gestures etc, iron out any anomolies).  The hardest part sometimes was getting the built-in text-to-speech to pronounce the words correctly, so sometimes you have to misspell something to get the right pronounciation.  Strangely, my name was pronounced correctly with the correct spelling!  You can tell the text-to-speech sounds quite archaic, i'm sure they would be far better now.  I do remember that Chad Nelson enjoyed it because he even had something in his profile status about it  :)

On a lot of courses it's virtually impossible to play the punched driver shot every shot, particularly off the tee, because it wouldn't reach the fairway and then you would struggle to move it out of the rough.  That was also a problem on St Andrews, but the bigger problem to begin with was getting it over the burn.  Most would just go straight over it in front of the green, but your ball would always end up in the rough at the back, and then almost impossible to get it back onto the green without it running into the burn, then you had to get it over the burn again.  So my way of doing it was to go left side of the fairway towards the cloest part of the burn to the tee, then you could play a fuller shot to jump over the burn.  you could never get to the green in two that way, but at least you had a chance of no more than a bogey, and possibly even a par if you got your 3rd shot close.  A couple of years ago I did try another course, but can't remember which one now... might have been Oakmont F9 -it was too tough!

I did hold a CC competition about 3 years ago using just a punched driver, and Poppypeux and I did actually manage to finish the front 9.  Unfortunately I don't have the scorecard any more, but I'm pretty sure we both scored in the 40's, Poppy 1 shot better than me I think.  The card may still be in the Aphrodite CC forum somewhere.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2022 4:19 AM

Thanks Mio.  ; )

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Tue, Sep 13 2022 10:34 AM

Blender Physics...

...next week, make a golf game. Lol.  : ))

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Sep 14 2022 9:18 AM

I can imagine it's difficult to try and disconnect this game from any real life experiences with golf and other golf games, but I would suggest that may be a good way to approach this game. Accept it for what it is and make adjustments to how you play to accomodate its peculiarities.

As much as programmers may try to emulate the real world experience, it's never going to match it exactly, and if you crash in a racing game that's a big plus!

You haven't been at this for very long and it's not the kind of game that you're going to become an expert in overnight. Forget Tiger Woods PGA, it's not that and forget real life golf because it's not that either, it's a computer game that's different to other computer games, so play it as such.

Good luck.

P.S. The above video was created because I was looking for ideas for puzzles that I occasionally make. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on youtube, but ended up following a tutorial on Blender physics, and I was quite pleased with what I achieved, so I posted it here. It wasn't supposed to be indicative of someone venting their anger on the game. [Edited video].

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2022 9:13 AM

Blender : Animated cube

Pretty much sums up my animation skills, but it wasn't that difficult and I think it's quite expressive.

Tutorial.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Tue, Mar 14 2023 4:20 AM

Blender and GIMP.

Wanted to get away from having a video for a simple animation.

WGT logo blue steel
    WGT logo glass
    Trophy

GIF DETAILS :
    600 frames
    20ms duration per frame

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Tue, Mar 14 2023 9:08 AM
    I like it scott .
RSS