Forums

Help › Forums

FBS and Head/tailwinds

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 29 2020 2:23 PM (0 replies)
  • Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2020 2:23 PM

Looking for some guidance on an issue I have been devoting some time to. Specifically, the effect head and tail winds have on a ball hit from the fairway with FBS (not from the tee as I have that addressed already). I realize this is all specific to the ball and club combination that a player uses (in my case the Titleist lvl 87 and the Callie level 100 irons). Logically, there has to be an effect. I have all my charts, tables, mappings, etc. but have reached an impasse. Specifically I have found 18 mph as the break point; generally winds less than 18 mph have minimal effect on FBS shots while winds above 18 mph have maximum effect. Usually I adjust for these variances by adjusting the amount of spin applied to the ball or adding or subtracting a club. But I am trying to develop a consistent solution for a ball hit with FBS from the fairway. I’ve looked through older forum posts and haven’t run across anything definitive yet. I think what I am trying to determine is whether there is a general “formula” that says for winds above x mph add maybe 10 additional yds for headwinds or subtract 5 yds for tailwinds or something to that effect. For example, hitting 186 yds to a green at CB facing a 23 mph headwind. I do all the calculations for wind effect, go to my chart for FBS yardages and guesstimate what club to use. Is there any step that says after I calculate for wind effect I should adjust my number by some additional factor to compensate for the fact that I am hitting FBS into a headwind/tailwind? I’m even beginning to wonder if there is any benefit to solving this problem or whether I should just continue to use my usual practice of adding or subtracting backspin as appropriate. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

RSS