Forums

Help › Forums

Re: arnold palmer

Sun, Oct 31 2021 8:27 AM (7 replies)
  • larwil
    5 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2020 4:31 AM

was in California a few years back and visited Pebble Beach. While there someone in pro shop said that we could go to driving range and hit some balls with their clubs. We loaded into a van and made the short trip to the driving range and hit some balls. The guy that was there at range asked us if we saw Arnold Palmer at clubhouse and we said no. He said that he teed off around 11am and that we may catch him before he was through. We went back to the course and started walking from #18. We got to the 17th tee box and saw he and a friend coming down 16th fairway. each of them had a caddy and a cart. When they got to 17 i introduced myself and asked Mr. Palmer if i could get a picture with him. He was very nice and said sure you can. I introduced my wife and 4 others that were with me and then took the picture. I went to Augusta the next year hoping to get him to autograph it but didn't get to do that and the next year he passed away. What a great person he was and am sure he is missed by everyone who ever came into contact with him.

Thank you

Larry

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2020 8:28 PM

Great story, thanks.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2020 12:19 AM

Indeed.

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2020 10:44 AM

Great story ---- THX for sharing
    I have one of my own as well:

• BIGAL123
    200 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2020 6:37 PM

Yancy -  Your experiences are always interesting.  Love your stories.

• BOZskills
    387 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2020 12:05 PM

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2021 9:09 PM

Appreciate the kind words BigAL..... I got a few.
    Best, Yancy

• Jkneisle
    2 Posts
    Sun, Oct 31 2021 8:27 AM

I was born in Latrobe, in 1952...as a 14  and 15 year old, caddied at Latrobe CC...because I had good manners, i guess, you know, yes mam, no sir etc, Moonie Sedlack, the caddie master, always put me on Mrs. Palmers' bag, Arnie's mother. Many years later, my golfing mates brother, a member at Bay Hill, invited us for a special round. On the tee, we waited for our mystery 4th. Who shows up? The king himself. After the round, I was gifted an autographed hat with "Thanks for taking care of my mom"!  A seriously great guy.

RSS