Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Moving up in level?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 27 2021 1:19 PM (34 replies)
  • WhooElse
    1 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2020 6:06 AM

Hi level/tier up confuses me - i turned Master recently level 47 i think...yet i often play against other players who are still tour pro & even pro at much higher levels , yet their averages are much lower than mine.

My average is 150 & will probably remain there as i never play in tournaments. In fact, i don't even have any stats or game history.

So my next advancement to tour master would an average score of 63 or lower , as stated my average is still 150 (am i missing the point somehow?)

Is the average over 18 holes? Which i don't play - at times i do play a 9 hole match

Also , if you could be so kind , can you try explain Minimum Ranked Rounds 40

Best regards

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2020 10:47 AM

WhooElse:
    My average is 150 & will probably remain there as i never play in tournaments. In fact, i don't even have any stats or game history.

There are other ways to move up Tiers besides the (ranked rounds + average) formulas shown in MarchieB's chart.  If you don't play tournaments, WGT will still eventually promote you to the next Tier.  The exact criteria they use for that sort of promotion has not yet been figured out, however.  It's likely a combination of your level, your performance in coin games (maybe coins won or W-L record against higher-tiered players), and/or other factors.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2020 11:37 AM

WhooElse:

You have to play ranked rounds in order to record your stats or affect your average . Coin games will not affect your average . To lower your average you need to play stroke play rounds . You can play either by yourself or you can create a stroke play game and invite others to join . Stroke play practice rounds also will not affect your average or be recorded in your stats .

You can play either 9 or 18 holes . If playing 9 the game will record the round scoring as an 18 hole round . So play 9 as its quicker to play and easier on the stress .

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2020 12:22 PM

WhooElse:
    level/tier up confuses me - i turned Master recently level 47 i think...yet i often play against other players who are still tour pro & even pro at much higher levels , yet their averages are much lower than mine.

In addition to the above comments, note that tier (like master, tour master, etc) is mostly unrelated to level.  Except - if you play only H2H coin games, the early tiers seem to be governed by level.

Level is based on the number of XP.  YOu rise through levels pretty quick at first but it really slows down (requires more and more XP/level when you get to  Level 80).  Level determines what equipment you can qualify for.

An average of 150 means you have not played any "ranked rounds" (stroke play on standard courses).  It converts all raw scores to 18 holes and keeps that average.  The average restarts when you reach a new tier.

• jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2020 8:48 PM

+1

DoctorLarry nailed it.

Levels and tiers are different things.

Levels, which one achieves by earning xp points, relate to what clubs one can buy.  xp points are earned by playing no matter what the result or event.

Tiers (Pro, TP, Master ... up to TC) relates to what tournaments one can enter and who will play with you in multi-player games.  Tiers is driven by average, which only includes ranked rounds in one's current tier to get to the next one.  If one plays practice rounds or AS, average will cannot move.

It's a distinction a lot of WGT players do not think through, and I have repeated it multiple times in our club forum.

Tom.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2020 9:31 PM

jacktrade51:
    Levels and tiers are different things.
    True, and in general and in history, they are truly independent.

Alas, an average of 150 is proof that a player has never played any ranked strokeplay round. (unless he's played only 150 strokes rounds just after tiering up)
    Thus, at least on mobile, tiers are bound to levels.

This goes at least up to Legend tier (there's one named a.... @L95), maybe beyond.

• Slicer0953
    9 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2020 7:07 PM

Hi gang, I started this post earlier this month out of frustration of not moving up in level to Legend after 4 years when others achieved it in under a year.  MarchieB's chart showed me I just needed to reduce my average to 61 or below since I had enough ranked rounds played, and I would move to Legend from Tour Master.  Which I did and was grateful to MarchieB.  But... now I ran across someone that is a Tour Legend, at level 95, that only has 1.2MM XP points, has played in one tournament, and has 57 ranked rounds played.  I have 2.1MM XP and am level 98 and have 1,285 ranked rounds played. I'm just saying, what is the secret that WGT isn't sharing?  How do these players move beyond their level without playing?  I play every single day with very few exceptions. (this streak is now at 87 straight days).  I know it sound like I'm whining, which I am (lol) but come on.  The reason I want to move up is to be eligible for the better equipment, not for status.  Any additional thoughts here from the membership, or from WGT?

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2020 11:16 AM

Slicer,

1. How can you see another players XP point total? If you are getting this number via their CC page that is only what they have contributed to that CC, not their lifetime total. The XP system for Leveling up is set in stone and cannot be fudged with. Every player reaches the same Level with the same number of XP points.
    2. The Ranked Round / AVG system to Tier up (Chart) is not the only way to tier up. Mobile and PCEA players who play in lots of Coin Room games will Tier up without the RR/AVG requirements but it is still based on skill. How that is done is not know 100% as WGT does not give out that info.
    3. Moving Up in Tier (Tour Master, Legend, ect) is skill based while Moving up in Levels is only based on accumulation of XP points.
    Best advice I've ever received with this game is to not worry about other players and just concentrate on improving your own game.
  • TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2020 11:41 AM

• Slicer0953
    9 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2020 11:50 AM

MarchieB,

Thanks for the input.  Very helpful.

1. I reviewed the XP points on the players Profile page on the old platform not the CC page.  I thought the profile page was the total XP points earned over a career.  Of course I could be wrong on that too.

2. I was not aware that Coin Room games contributed that much.  I didn't even play Coin Room games until moving to the new platform just recently.  That could be one reason why it took me so long to Tier up.  I wasn't playing enough games each day as the 9 hole and 18 hole games take so much longer than the Coin Room games.

3.  I was aware of the the difference on those two.

I agree with your advice and will try to heed it more often.  Thanks again!

RSS