Forums

Help › Forums

Re: No search bar

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 27 2020 8:42 PM (40 replies)
  • MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 9:18 AM

ScottHope I think you may have figured it out!!! 

Robert1893, on your iPhone in Safari, in the top left corner are there two A’s in the URL bar? This opens the controls for the text size which also affects the screen width displayed. On my phone if it is set above 125% I lose the RH column. You may just need to put the text size to a smaller setting. Hopefully this is the answer!!

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 9:37 AM

@Scott and MarchieB

You guys are terrific! That was it. I adjusted the text size, and there's the right navigation column. 😎

I would have never thought to have done that. 

Thanks! 

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 9:54 AM

Thanks Marchie & Robert.

I get it that WGT need to reconfigure this website to accomodate all the different devices and screen sizes that people now use, but adding code that completely removes part of a webpage for smaller screen sizes instead of moving it to another area of that webpage is, unless I'm missing something, dreadful coding.

VIDEO

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 10:02 AM

The funniest part about it Scott is that regardless of the text size, the “area” that the RH column occupies is still there, it’s just blank!!! The page itself is exactly the same just zoomed in!!! 

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 10:09 AM

Yup, it may be part of something that has yet to be fully implemented Marchie, but it's still poor.

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Tue, Aug 11 2020 2:47 PM

I know this is a little late but I wanted to thank everyone that really added something to this.  Robert, Marchie, and Scott, thank you for continuing to look for a solution to this problem. 

I tried the trick of making the text smaller and that is all it did for me, still can’t access the search function, I’ll just use my iPad for now.

thanks again for all the very informative and thought out responses.  

BWerthy 

Edit: I am not super tech savvy and I was really hoping that would help. It didn’t as I already stated. But then I kept messing around and the prompt request desktop version appeared and when I pressed that all the other stuff on the side appeared including the search function.  Wonderful. 

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2020 8:51 AM
    Thank you BW.

Do you know what the screen resolution of your phone is, or if you don't know that, the make and model?

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2020 9:26 AM

The Mobile version vs. Desktop version of a page option did not affect my iPhone (I see the search bar with both), but could be a factor for other makes of devices.

🚨  Also please note that you are not trying this on your "My Discussions" or "Active Threads" forum pages as they do not have the RH sidebar on them at all.

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2020 10:06 AM

ScottHope:

Do you know what the screen resolution of your phone is, or if you don't know that, the make and model?

Scott, I’m using an iPhone 7. Nothing special about it. Have no idea about the resolution. 

MarchieB:

The Mobile version vs. Desktop version of a page option did not affect my iPhone (I see the search bar with both), but could be a factor for other makes of devices.

🚨  Also please note that you are not trying this on your "My Discussions" or "Active Threads" forum pages as they do not have the RH sidebar on them at all.

Correct, before switching to the desktop version on my phone,  there was nothing but a blank section on the right   No search function and no my discussions or active threads or anything else. I had to be creative to find the things I wanted  

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2020 12:29 AM

BWerthy:
    Scott, I’m using an iPhone 7. Nothing special about it. Have no idea about the resolution. 

Thanks for that. According to Google that model has a resolution width of 750 pixels. So going back to what I said previously about the sidebar not being visible if your device/browser has a width of less than 760 pixels, you should not be seeing it whatever you do, desktop version or not. Now I'm more confused than ever.  : |

RSS