Help › Forums

Re: Which Putter Upgrade After L59

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 3 2020 12:33 PM (7 replies)
  • russellsvpickett
    139 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2020 10:45 PM

Hi all....

There seems to be quite a gap in putters available that genuinely make a difference, stat wise, between L59 and the L98 Phantoms?

I've been playing the L59 Saber since I reached L59 and have done well with it.  I'm now L84, have plenty of credits to upgrade to either the L77 Spider or L70 Phantom, but their Precision (-0.2) and Forgiveness (-1.0) are both lower than my Saber although the Balance (+1.5) is better.  Naturally, you would expect to be able buy a better putter to match your improved experience after over 20 XP levels of play, but neither seem much of an upgrade!?

Community.... Am I right in thinking this or will the Phantom and or the Spider improve my game with the improved balance?

Since wanting to write this, it seems that the L74 Saber has just came back as the Odyssey Stroke Lab Black 10, which is actually +0.3 (4.5) in precision and +1.0 (3.5) in Balance but down -1.5 (3.0) in Forgiveness, so I'm actually wondering if it may just be a more balance and better all-round putter than my L59?  I don't see many players with this putter, so interested to hear some feedback?  I'm also not really a "ding" putter, prefer to hold the line with an off ding, so will the lower forgiveness cost me?

Also, kinda strange, but I've noticed than when you compare putters, it doesn't compare the balance for some reason, why is that?

Decision, decisions…. Scotty, Stroke Lab or Spider, help needed please!?

Thanks

Russell

• rverdag2
    5 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2020 9:27 AM

Anybody? 

• grumpyarthurc
    6 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2020 9:46 AM

I am in the same position. Can't see any reason to upgrade until level 98 for the Phantom X. Doesn't seem to be worth it.

• Cicero733
    2,291 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2020 12:33 PM

Just an opinion. Improved putting performance is mainly derived from two things - average distance to the pin and the ability to read the green. A putter will not necessarily make any improvements to those needed abilities. But, once on the green regardless of distance to the pin or the number of breaks the ball will pass through on its roll path you need a flat stick to put the ball in the hole. Putting is an individual thing, everybody has their own techniques, preferences, etc. The best putter for improving your performance then is the one you have the most confidence in. Some players find one putter they like and stick with it. Others like to shop around. Probably the best approach for you would be to rent several different putters and see which one you feel performs the best for you.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2020 2:18 PM

first of all im not going to look them up but since they rarely add anything new and they just change the labels Im going to assume  that nothing has changed in stats.

there are only really 3 paths to take for putter.

starter>level 70>level 98

Titilist beginner package putter>level 70>level 98

One could even argue that the level 70 is more than adequate and dont need the 98. I think the 98 is slightly better enough to justify the purchase. but that's me.

anything else is really a waste unless you just have tons of credits to burn.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2020 3:36 PM

I was gifted the best putter available (aside from the gold one) and I still suck. It's the ability to read the greens that matters.

I would suggest sticking with whatever putter you are comfortable with and upgrading your other clubs.

ct

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2020 3:58 PM

ct690911:

I was gifted the best putter available (aside from the gold one) and I still suck. It's the ability to read the greens that matters.

I would suggest sticking with whatever putter you are comfortable with and upgrading your other clubs.

ct

+1

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2020 4:09 PM

ct690911:

line up a 20 foot straight putt somewhere.  only count the dings see how many go in by comparison. count 25 putts or so that you ding for each putter. 

compare a starter putter. and whatever your best one is. the numbers won't be the same. 

RSS