Forums

Help › Forums

Re: When is tie break applied?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 7 2020 9:15 PM (8 replies)
  • ron200sx
    10 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2020 2:14 PM

In the regular tournaments lets say I am tied for 1st with 2 others at this point, with several days more of play left, Does the order it shows on leader board mean anything? Has the tie break already been applied? So if I am tied for 1st but showing 3rd before its graded, does that mean I will get 3rd? Or the tie break will be applied with it closes and is graded?

• ron200sx
    10 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2020 2:25 PM

Also on a ready go tournament it looks like they applied no tie breakers and split the prize money for those places. Is this correct?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2020 4:47 PM

ron200sx:
    Does the order it shows on leader board mean anything? Has the tie break already been applied?

Yes, what you see is the finish based on a countback from the last hole.

From the tournament rules....

In the event of a tie , the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th hole (9th for nine hole games) in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2020 5:22 PM

YankeeJim:

ron200sx:
    Does the order it shows on leader board mean anything? Has the tie break already been applied?

Yes, what you see is the finish based on a countback from the last hole.

From the tournament rules....

In the event of a tie , the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th hole (9th for nine hole games) in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry.

I shared this explanation to the 3 WGT Facebook pages.

Perfect Explanation, so I shared with the 450 members on there.

Many of them know you .

• ron200sx
    10 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2020 5:31 PM

Ok, cool. So as soon as you play and see the leader board, tie break has already been applied. 

What do you mean, many of them know me? From playing me recently?

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2020 4:35 AM

ron200sx:

Ok, cool. So as soon as you play and see the leader board, tie break has already been applied. 

What do you mean, many of them know me? From playing me recently?

I was talking to Jim and his explanation

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2020 11:35 AM

ron200sx:
    So as soon as you play and see the leader board, tie break has already been applied. 

Exactly. In fact, I use the leaderboard in CC events to determine a winner in the event of same scores in a tournament. Very convenient because of the way it goes down.  :-)

• jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2020 9:34 PM

Above comments are correct, but note:  The WGT computer applies tie-breaker order in all positions.  It is almost always irrelevant unless it is for 1st.  But the order you see in club or WGT tournament leaderboards include the tie-breaker.

I have played in some special WGT tournaments where, say, 60, advance, no ties.  Then it is relevant.

Tom

• DufferJohn7
    3,561 Posts
    Fri, Aug 7 2020 9:15 PM

Is this also correct on mobile/PCEA leaderboards?

I recall seeing different order on them vs the PC leaderboards.

The mobile/PCEA leaderboards are not very good. I hope the leaderboard WGTChampion used in the test secret code tournament is adopted soon.

DJ7

RSS