Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Which wedges to get as a beginner?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 23 2021 12:15 AM (20 replies)
  • chobahni
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2020 8:01 AM

I'm a new player but have a decent amount of credits stocked up. I plan to get wedge first but not sure what to get. I have taylormade milled grind wedge l14+ and the cleveland cg16 l7+ unlocked. Should I go with one of these, or wait until I lock a better wedge? I'm looking for a budget option. I was scrolling through WGT forums and heard about a taylormade wedge that is unlocked lvl 30?

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2020 9:41 AM

If it were me, I would wait until Level 31, which shouldn't take much time at all, and then purchase the Titleist Vokey wedges (56, 60, and 64). 

I had the Cleveland versions. They served me well all the way through to the Level 78 to 80 wedges. 

• chobahni
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2020 11:04 AM

Only thing I'm concerned about is that the vokey wedges are quite expensive. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2020 1:03 PM

Whatever you do, be sure to log in and play every day, even if just a CTTH game, to keep your consecutive day bonus growing. This way you can get to the higher levels faster. Your ultimate goal should be to get to level 76 for your first opportunity to purchase a "forever" wedge, the Titleist  56* . 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2020 2:03 AM

One fact of WGT's Pro Shop is that early clubs of some quality cost more than those in higher levels.

Concerning the wedges, L29 Vokey (60°) is 1,200 cr while the L30 Taylormade (60°) is 700 cr.

These Taylormade should be good until L76 (behind the horizon) where the good stuff waits. Two short ones, 60° and 64°, are my proposal.

• callaghan159
    6,221 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2020 1:19 PM

chobahni:

Only thing I'm concerned about is that the vokey wedges are quite expensive. 

Gifts sent..Enjoy....64 and 60 Deg. sent

• TeslaNole
    8 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2020 6:05 PM

Wow, very generous of you! I am sure that the OP will appreciate your generosity. And I agree that the Vokey wedges are fantastic. I have been using them for two months or so and have really enjoyed them.

Trying to decide if I should buy the level 70-something Vokeys when I become eligible for them (a few more levels to go before that happens), or perhaps replace my 3W with the 52-degeee Vokey wedge from either level 26 or level 74. I already have the L-27-31 56, 60 and 64 degree ones, but do wonder if from Master tees I would be better served by a fourth wedge. I use my 3W only maybe once per round on the courses that I favor. 

Any thoughts?

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2020 4:35 PM

FWIW.  As you move back in tee boxes, you will have a need for a 3W. So I would keep it. The 52 degree wedge doesn’t really fill any gaps and you are fine with the three wedges you already have.

• Jeff1172LD
    271 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2020 8:37 AM

I am far from an expert here,  but I would keep the 3 wood, over your hybrid. I think  that once I get an upgrade on my irons, and eventually a new driver and 3 wood, that I really wont need a hybrid. I'll have the yardage gaps filled, between driver, 3-wood and 3-iron.  I'll fill that bag space with another wedge. Lots of times, I wish that I had another low yardage club (wedge), for a given shot that I am presented with. I don't think I have ever really had that thought, during long yard situations.

• JuNiOr8820
    9 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 3:33 PM

Do you think the vokeys are far superior to the L30’s TM grinds?  Just from a cost perspective, I’m considering them.  I just purchased my first club the L55 TM driver and that took most of what I had built up.  I know I need to upgrade the wedges next. I would like to keep consistent meter speed to simplify things.  The vokeys are closer to the meter speed of the TM driver and that seems to be the smart way to go.  

RSS