Thu, Jul 30 2020 6:25 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2020 2:19 PM

Mythanatos:

SE hat for driver distance bonus.

Max Shirt for 3W distance bonus.

The above combination allows for reaching more par 5s in 2. And it's really a minimal adjustment to go back and forth. 

I get where you are coming from and understand.  I believe you understand that a golf "purist" - even in a game - knows that is so fake.

Yes - I went ahead and paid the "appearance" fee so I don't have to look like the hobo that I am!!

;-)

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2020 4:43 PM

DoctorLarry:
    I get where you are coming from and understand.  I believe you understand that a golf "purist" - even in a game - knows that is so fake.

It's no more fake than  going from one set of clubs that hits a 3 iron 190 yards and another that hits it 240.

I mean be honest with yourself. You're justifying it in a club because you think it's acceptable and closer to reality. When anyone that plays golf know that's simply not true. 

You're upgrading an item and it's based purely on mathematical stats. there is ZERO difference between how you get there. that's the actual reality. 

any difference is completely judgmental and in your head. 

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2020 6:33 PM

Mythanatos:

DoctorLarry:

It's no more fake than  going from one set of clubs that hits a 3 iron 190 yards and another that hits it 240.

Oh now, hang on just a minute. Yes, it's a golf game and therefore not 'real'. But there are some parallels with the real game, in as much as it's possible that you could go out and buy better clubs and balls and find yourself hitting longer than you were before. That happens.

But you can spend the rest of your lifetime trying on different hats and shirts and you will not see increase yardage in your shots as a result.

So for anyone who enjoys playing this game with as much similarity to the real game as can reasonably be achieved, apparel boosts are an anathema.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2020 6:34 PM

Mythanatos:

DoctorLarry:

Oh now, hang on just a minute. Yes, it's a golf game and therefore not 'real'. But there are some parallels with the real game, in as much as it's possible that you could go out and buy better clubs and balls and find yourself hitting longer than you were before. That happens.

But you can spend the rest of your lifetime trying on different hats and shirts and you will not see increase yardage in your shots as a result.

So for anyone who enjoys playing this game with as much similarity to the real game as can reasonably be achieved, apparel boosts are an anathema.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2020 12:26 PM

Wutpa:

I wouldn't disagree.

Another real world issue of increased distance and discussions on dialing back equipment... Professional golf and various courses around the world have added length to the courses to make them play a little more challenging and placed some restrictions on what can be done with clubs legally.  I don't recall who it was but I remember someone's driver being declared illegal at a tournament awhile back...

Has WGT ever considered doing the same thing in order to keep up with the real world comparison.  Not to my knowledge... instead players are given comical distances and even playing on shorter tees in the showdown events with virtually maxed out apparel.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2020 1:21 PM

Wutpa:

That's just BS you make mental adjustments to what is acceptable all the time. in my example you're getting 40-50 yard increases between the two clubs.

unless you go use a 6 year olds set and then a normal set you aren't going to get that improvement. at most you get a few yards. between clubs.

The purist is a subjective term. You might see yourself as such. But you're sitting in a chair and clicking a mouse. Watching a bar go across the screen.

If you were a purist you'd be using that Bluetooth add on club swinging thingamajiggy.

Because that's the closest you can get right now. in a game.

and i still don't lose my main point which is. It's completely in your head on what you find acceptable. It's judgmental. 

'Change your frame of mind is all it takes because once again... the programming outcome works the exact same whether it's on a club... a ball or a hat.

i mean if you can tell me the  difference between how they affect distance for example then go for it.

we both know that the only real answer you have to that is. "There is no difference. I just don't like it."

And the reason given is going to be "uhhhh because".

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2020 6:25 PM

Mythanatos:

Wutpa:

That's just BS you make mental adjustments to what is acceptable all the time. in my example you're getting 40-50 yard increases between the two clubs.

unless you go use a 6 year olds set and then a normal set you aren't going to get that improvement. at most you get a few yards. between clubs.

At no point did I suggest that that kind of distance trade-up was likely. I just said that in the real world it was also possible to improve distance by upgrading your equipment, and guess what? It is.

Mythanatos:

The purist is a subjective term. You might see yourself as such. But you're sitting in a chair and clicking a mouse. Watching a bar go across the screen.

If you were a purist you'd be using that Bluetooth add on club swinging thingamajiggy.

And I didn't say that either. I don't call myself a purist, and that word was used (loosely) by DoctorLarry to make a valid (in my opinion) point, but a different one.

I also didn't say the game was realistic, I just said that I prefer it when it gets as close to realistic as it can get, and so that automatically excludes apparel boosts because such things do not exist in the real game. Surely that isn't a difficult point to understand, whether or not you agree with it.

Mythanatos:
    and i still don't lose my main point which is. It's completely in your head on what you find acceptable. It's judgmental. 

Well yes, of course it is. You find apparel boosts acceptable and I prefer to not include them in my game experience. I have offered no criticism of you or anyone else for their choices in this regard. Fill your boots!

Mythanatos:

the programming outcome works the exact same whether it's on a club... a ball or a hat.

i mean if you can tell me the  difference between how they affect distance for example then go for it.

I understand that. And the reason I understand that is because believe it or not I know that This. Is. A. Computer/App. Game. I don't give a fig about the programming distinction between adding distance to a club or a hat or anything. Once again, for me it's just about the relative realism of this simulation. In the real game changing my shirt (or hat, glove etc.) is not going to change how far I hit a ball or the spin factor. I have no issue with anyone using apparel in the way it way it was designed, but it doesn't interest me, for my experience of the game. If you want to interpret that answer as me saying "I just don't like it" as you predicted then go right ahead. But you'll still be missing my point in that case.

Mythanatos:
    And the reason given is going to be "uhhhh because".

Clearly not.

• PAGES
RSS