Forums

Help › Forums

Re: So what am I doing wrong?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 9 2020 7:08 PM (4 replies)
  • Steelhouse
    110 Posts
    Sat, Jun 6 2020 3:02 PM

So I'm putting from 2 feet to the cup, flagstick is dead center of the cup, cup is slight left to right break, power up to about 3 to 4 foot; ball runs by the edge of cup. Happens more often then not . ???

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2020 9:03 AM

I hardly ever leave the flag stick in the centre if I can see a break, I move the flag stick even if it's just one or two inches towards the lip, and remember missing the ding on the breaking side exaggerates the break.

Hope that helps

• Steelhouse
    110 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2020 10:45 AM

Thanks, I didn't realize the outcome of not paying attention to that. 

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2020 3:54 PM

Steelhouse:

So I'm putting from 2 feet to the cup, flagstick is dead center of the cup, cup is slight left to right break, power up to about 3 to 4 foot; ball runs by the edge of cup. Happens more often then not . ???

First question has to be asked, are you missing to the left of the cup or to the right.  If left, you are probably over powering the break and hitting too hard.  If right, you are hitting too softly or underplaying the break.

Remember break is also dependent on speed.  Too hot and it doesn't break.  Too soft and it over breaks.  You need to get your distance correct first and then breaks.

A school of thought on short slightly breaking putts is to aim dead center and shoot just hard enough to over power the break.(it's called ramming)  If hit too hard you can find the ball bouncing off of the back of the cup,  you will get a feel for how hard, and when to do it.

Balls that burn the edges of cups are usually hit too hard.

• Steelhouse
    110 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2020 7:08 PM

Thanks also, that seem to be an often occurrence, trying to get used to this after being gone so long.

RSS