Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Green Speed on Chips/Pitches

Wed, Jun 9 2021 1:53 AM (23 replies)
  • pdb1
    22,243 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2021 11:08 AM

Tabarnak777:

Do full backspin/flop like shots for your approach on 1st hole exclusively(assuming that you are in fairway/light rough stuff).

I'm a floppin fool . I probably have holed over 50 flops alone .

No . I didn't start saving those short holers right away . Probably closer to 75 .

• rjteeithi
    578 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2021 9:23 PM

SidersBest:

It would be great, however IRL you don't know the green speed until you chip or pitch onto the green. 

I know the game gives us a lot of freebees wind speed, wind direction, putter pal, shot pal, but I beleive some things should remain unknown until you have the experience, that way it shows your ability to make adjustments to your game and become a better player. or you can play in your teir and always know the green speed for that teir

Siders Best

no

• pdb1
    22,243 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2021 1:45 AM

SidersBest:
    or you can play in your teir and always know the green speed for that teir

Right . Which doesn't give one much experience with the different green speeds .

I think the most attracting factor and best feature of the coin rooms . Is the random green speeds . They vary every hole no matter what tiers are playing . That alone makes parity in the match ups . Much fairer . Better experience . For me it is what makes those rounds worthwhile .

• pdb1
    22,243 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2021 1:53 AM

Tbuffkin:
    I'd disagree on not knowing since all courses have putting greens, and the good courses have putting greens that reflect the speed of the greens on the course. There you can practice and get an idea for the speed before playing.

But there you are playing solo . Either choosing a green speed or playing the default of your tier .

In Stroke Play , Alt Shot , Match Play . The green speed is the speed of the highest tier in the match .I think these should all be random green speeds .

In coin games . Every match is a new random green speed . With no regard to the tiers playing .

Major Tournaments are all Champ green speeds .

RSS