Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Is this game fixed

Thu, Oct 26 2023 4:26 PM (110 replies)
  • Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2021 11:10 AM

Greynurse0:

On the topic of videos, what videos? I play on my PC and there are no videos in the tab.I took part in the questionares initially, until my inbox was so flooded with difficult to unsubscibe spam that I scotched that method. Besides, I heard the videos are only worth 2 credits a viewing. Pretty lousy, really. So far, to be fair, I've taken adantage of the free club hire periods. They're good.
    Could I suggest a couple of things? In the head to head rooms, is it possible to better match players based on their clubs? Paticularly driver and wood distances? And, despite WGT being a "for profit" organisation, could you PLEASE bring the price of balls to within reach of more players. Especially as they have a finite life. Actually, this is one area where WGT has the physics of wear and tear on balls right. But in reality they are a very affordable item.

2 credits per video. Up to 150 credits a day. That's the cap.

can watch videos on multiple devices. So with a couple old phones just on a wifi connection. your current phone and maybe a tablet this can be done in 10 minutes or so.

can do it while watching something on TV or whatever else time of day you need to kill some time.

Between the videos and showdowns I haven't had a reason to buy credits in over three years.  

I have 221 golf balls in inventory. No new clubs to buy. I pay for the premier because I always have the credits and don't have much else to spend them on.

150cr/day x7 days= 1050 cr per week.

150 x 365= 54,750cr per year.

even if don't do it every day you should probably get between 45k and 50k a year in credits. more than enough to not have to spend a dime on this game.  Just takes a little bit of time a day.

• ichott
    56 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2021 1:36 PM

To the OP:

of course it is but no more than life itself and what’s more you know it so why are you asking?

but have never had the inclination to spend money on it because it lacks consistency; ”

you’ve said it! The INconsistancy comes from not spending money on better equipment just like real life!

I just do not know what sort of response you are looking for that will help, perhaps you can enlighten us?

• downunderkid
    39 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2021 7:06 PM

you are very close more shots = more ball purchases spending a lot of money wont help but playing a lot will help just remember its entertainment for us a business for wgt 

this new version has been a big leveler for the game everyone gets a equal chance of beating higher tier players and they don't like it i get more forfeit's from higher tier players than lower ones loving it 

• BrianCheese
    31 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2022 4:24 AM

Robert1893:

Regardless of all of that, the game is not "fixed" as he claims, and the following statement he made (in another thread) is simply not true: "spend $100 on WGT and suddenly you shoot 52s instead of 67s."

Actually two years on from this (and the other post I posted on that you were ever so good to point out), I have spent money, moved much higher up the rankings and I still firmly believe that you are penalised for not spending money.

The statement that you dismissed so easily actually feels more true now than it did two years ago. I know how to play the game now, and I rarely have a bad round (unless it's head-to-head which I believe is a law unto itself in this strangely money-oriented game). The thing is I moved from tour pro to master with rented Mavrik clubs; my game improved vastly over the space of two days, so much so that my average score dropped more in those two days than it had in the previous two years.

I toiled away on videos and doing surveys - because for the last two years money has been anything but disposable - and bought myself a half reasonable set of irons, 3 wood and hybrid - and within three months I'd gone from master to tour master and over the first couple of months I continued to improve, my average coming down from 150 to the mid 60s.

But since Christmas, suddenly my adequate clubs are no longer adequate. The same shots do not have the same effect. Now, I understand that the huge amount of variables - wind, greens etc - mean that playing the same shot exactly the same way is almost impossible to quantify as the only place you'll ever get the chance to repeat the shot is when you practice and practice rounds ALWAYS are much easier, more forgiving and confidence installing. However, when my irons no longer do what is expected of them regardless of how I hit the ball - usually very consistently - and my driving varies in length wildly in a single round, I again started to look at whether or not the game was now weighted towards me needing to upgrade my clubs to maintain the same level or better.

Also, when you play someone who is level 50, a tour pro with absolute top quality clubs, using expensive balls, off of easier tees and you get your *** handed to you on a plate to the point where you're almost shouting at the screen because the shot or putt you just made somehow mysteriously doesn't go in or where you want it, very much the same way it used to do that when I had a starter set, you have to either draw the conclusion that the tour pro you're playing has either got another account (has more experience than his level 50 suggests) or has worked out the basics of the game and realised that with $300 worth of equipment he can be a world beater, for a while.

You can say that my statement isn't true, but that doesn't make either of us right, but what it does do is put the game into perspective; if you spend money on better clubs you get more forgiveness and control. I have considerably more anecdotal evidence to suggest low ranked players with good clubs win more often than low ranked players with starter clubs. There have been some good arguments put across a number of threads about this and it's got the stage where, IMHO, the people vehemently denying the game is fixed/loaded towards money spenders are either employed by WGT or have had an exponential rise through their ability to spend money on the game. Most of the people I've seen dismiss this accusation have fabulous clubs, have won tournaments, play with expensive balls. Oddly enough I don't see that many masters or tour masters who haven't got some premium clubs and even more odd I don't see any of them standing tall and saying This Game Isn't Fixed. 

When people claim this game isn't fixed or loaded towards people who spend money, you need to ask yourself a number of questions: why does EVERYTHING from out of free time sponsorship to clubs to entering certain competitions cost gold coins, which cost money unless you're prepared to spend a lot of time toiling over surveys - many of which waste your time for an inordinate amount of time before telling you you're not suitable. Why does anything that's free seem prone to crashing or pausing while it reconnects, but doesn't do that whenever you spend money?

I've spent a lot of time over the last two years of the pandemic playing WGT a lot - having to isolate and being stuck in doors has meant I have loads of free time and no money and as a result I've been making copious notes to back up my and others assertion that the game is most decidedly fixed in a way that makes heroin dealers look like good guys. You and others can dismiss our claims and accusations in flippant, sarcastic and [not so] clever ways, but it's all ridicule and dismissal; like the original poster might have been a troll, but he actually asks a good question - all the people who don't think it's fixed, you don't ever say why you don't think it's fixed. Is this because you can't? Is this because you're financially solvent enough to have never really experienced anything but the usual learning curve? Or are you maybe like the guy at Level 50 who beat me by 6 shots with an awesome set of clubs; as long as you're playing okay you don't want to think it's about the money you've spent and more about how brilliant you are?

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2022 9:13 AM

Have to admit. I had that one wrong. From page 3, I thought it would be a year. Off by a couple of months. Rats!

I trust you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2022 10:34 AM

BrianCheese:
    I've spent a lot of time over the last two years of the pandemic playing WGT a lot

BrianCheese:
    having to isolate

In breaking news- People who spend more time and money on a game are better at it than people who do not and the people who do not spend money and time are sick and tired of being beaten by those that do....more at 11

Robert1893:
    I trust you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2022 10:43 AM

BrianCheese:

I toiled away on videos and doing surveys - because for the last two years money has been anything but disposable - and bought myself a half reasonable set of irons, 3 wood and hybrid - and within three months I'd gone from master to tour master and over the first couple of months I continued to improve, my average coming down from 150 to the mid 60s.

But since Christmas, suddenly my adequate clubs are no longer adequate.

Brian, I sent you a friend request.  I have some thoughts I'd like to share with you via PM, if you are willing.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2022 11:10 AM

I tend to believe we get better with practice, but only to a certain point. Like with everything else, innate talent also plays a part. I was fortunate to have the best equipment and played almost every day, but I simply couldn't touch some of these players who had more talent than I did.

Once I fully hoisted that in, I started to get less frustrated and simply started to enjoy the game and the companionship.

Practice doesn't make perfect...perfect practice makes perfect.

ct

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2022 12:12 PM

ct690911:
    I tend to believe we get better with practice, but only to a certain point. Like with everything else, innate talent also plays a part.

In my opinion (for whatever it's worth which may not be much), this aspect is probably the most overlooked aspect of the game here on WGT.

Some players are just better players. And no amount of practice is going to bridge that gap. 

In our country club, there's a player who has a 1-putt percent of more than 72%. I will probably never be higher than 50%. He's just a better player than me. It has nothing to do with equipment or how much I spend or don't spend on the game. 

I realize it can be difficult for some to admit that others are simply better, but that's just reality.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2022 12:43 PM

what we have here is a difference in understanding and thus labeling with the wrong logic.

Here are the truths. Clubs with better forgiveness and precision do better over time than those that don't. 

That's not the game being fixed. that's just the nature or a game.

also spin is probably more important than forgiveness and precision. 

Example a few years ago i messed around with the set of the week tourneys.

what i found was i could use starter and slightly better clubs and do quite well if i jacked up the spin stat. By using balls with high spins and  putting on apparel pieces that added iron spin.

What I'm saying here is that yes the high end bought clubs give anyone an advantage. But that being said if you gave me a few days to practice with low end clubs and i can choose my ball and apparel i will beat you (Briancheese), probably never lose a 9 or 18 hole match to you. 

skill does matter.

Clubs also matter to an extent. 

Set of the week tourneys were a great way to test your ability without club advantages.

RSS