Forums

Help › Forums

Re: The thrifty newbie upgrade path - first wedges & woods

Fri, Dec 31 2021 2:51 PM (52 replies)
  • Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2020 12:58 AM

GrindNGamble:

Don’t be too tough on yourself right out of the gate -Grind-, as this game is always going to be a learning one. At 182 RRs your overall process should be to get familiar with each hole on a course, the nuances and slopes that present themselves. Higher end balls do provide a benefit, but it also comes with the cost of either winning/ or paying for them to get all of your numbers. Allow the game to teach you what you can do with your regular setup such as distance/rollout/release and this will give you a better understanding when you do move up the ladder. 

Cheers,

BABZ 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2020 8:36 AM

• RufusChubb
    1 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2020 12:44 PM

Hi Kenny,

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your story here on the forum - this has been the best resource for me getting started (mainly helping me not spend precious credits).

Would be great to see another update whenever you next have a few mins - seeing a new player get better (and work through frustration) is always encouraging!

• Dirtysanchez333
    56 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2021 3:46 PM

Hi Zirjo

Do you have any recommendations for me in 2021? Not sure where to start when it comes to clubs would really love some help. 

Im a good putter and have good wedge and iron game. Just finding now at level 42 that I need distance off the tee as I'm losing out there to other players. 

But I'm not sure where to start. I see some clubs don't exist anymore so not sure what to purchase first. Im at a point now where I need to start and upgrading because I'm finding that MK2 set is losing me strokes 

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Also can anyone recommend a country club that would be a good one to join as I have not been able to get a response from any members in my club and not sure what the advantages are to be part of a good and active club.

Cheers

• Dirtysanchez333
    56 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2021 3:49 PM

Hi Sam 

what are the advantages to being part of a good and active CC. I have not be able to talk to anyone in the club I below to and want to be part of an active club with members I can chat with, learn from and just have fun with.

appreciate any help. 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2021 4:22 AM

The Peoples Club has a reputation to be communicative and helpful.

Some tips:

- read on their homepage which kind of online communication they use.

- play in the CC tournaments, so the members will see your name as a participant of CC activities.

- make friends with members of your own or neighbouring tiers and initiate multiplayer games.

- read and write in the CC forum (in your CC's menu) to get acquainted.

- talk to the directors and owner - they will know what to do.

• ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2021 5:06 PM

Dirtysanchez,

The clubs in those old posts are almost all still available.  Every year or so, WGT updates the club names and pictures to reflect what is currently available IRL.  The club stats, though, remain the same as always.  Sometimes there's a slight change to meter speed, but, in general, the club stats have been the same for many years.

The L70 putter in those old posts is the same as the L70 putter available now.  The old L59 irons are the same as the current L59 irons, etc., etc.

I don't have much to add to el3n1's advice and my own from the first few pages of this thread.  That is the best way to go from where you are.

CC's are great fun if you take the time to get to know the other members.  I highly recommend The People's Club.  Check them out when a spot opens up.  I had a great time playing with other TPCers online with chat open.  Sadly, I just don't have time to play right now.  I didn't want to take up a spot in my old club and not contribute.  I'll be back before too long, though.

Best of luck.

• EarlyCuyler28
    61 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 9:53 AM

Saving this to digest later.  So many choices to make.

• EarlyCuyler28
    61 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 6:08 PM

Just quoting this so it's easy for me to find.  I'm coming up on the wedges now.  You just using the plain free balls as well until you have the needed clubs?

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 7:25 PM

EarlyCuyler28:
    I'm coming up on the wedges now.  You just using the plain free balls as well until you have the needed clubs?

Hi, Early.  Welcome to WGT 😁

You can certainly use the starter balls (aka rocks) to get used to how the game plays, but at some point you'll probably want something with a bit slower meter.  I'd recommend either the WGT GI2-S or GI3-S ball as an inexpensive ball.  They both have a little bit of spin, and a noticably slower meter than the rocks.  I'm sending you a sleeve of the GI3-S balls to try out to see the difference.

Good luck!  And yes, new wedges will help also.

RSS