Help › Forums

Re: WGT Desktop Early Access for Mac

Sat, Nov 25 2023 10:05 AM (290 replies)
  • DaMasterDr
    30 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 12:05 PM

JGAN:

Lakefloyd:

Looking for some help downloading new  release.  When i download, I get a window with WGT Golf and a picture of a club & ball with another icon of applications under it.  When I double click on WGT Golf I get a pop up window that says " Error: access to/volumes/wgt launcher5/is forbidden;run patcher in.

I have a Mac with Mojave 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor with 8 GB Memory. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Try dropping the WGT icon into the "applications" icon(folder?).  That's what worked for me -I was pretty frustrated as well and tried in a last ditch effort.  Worked "fine" after that ...although for me the meter sucks.

THANK YOU! Finally someone actually read and responded instead of sharing their thoughts on new format!!  ThaNKS FLOYD

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 6:24 PM

DaMasterDr:

JGAN:

Lakefloyd:

Looking for some help downloading new  release.  When i download, I get a window with WGT Golf and a picture of a club & ball with another icon of applications under it.  When I double click on WGT Golf I get a pop up window that says " Error: access to/volumes/wgt launcher5/is forbidden;run patcher in.

I have a Mac with Mojave 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor with 8 GB Memory. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Try dropping the WGT icon into the "applications" icon(folder?).  That's what worked for me -I was pretty frustrated as well and tried in a last ditch effort.  Worked "fine" after that ...although for me the meter sucks.

THANK YOU! Finally someone actually read and responded instead of sharing their thoughts on new format!!  ThaNKS FLOYD

That's actually the way you install anything on new Mac's that leaves you with an application folder where the program does not run an installer script.

You can't execute admin functions to run applications from the desktop anymore, other than to install.

You have aliases still, but if the application is trying to execute a function like downloading and installing updates, patches it has to be run from a user application folder. 

If this is what people are doing, no wonder it's coughing errors. I assumed people who were using Mac's knew how to install and drag applications to the correct folder to run them. 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 6:35 PM

dedBuNNy:
    That's actually the way you install anything on new Mac's that leaves you with an application folder where the program does not run an installer script.

+1

dedBuNNy:
    If this is what people are doing, no wonder it's coughing errors. I assumed people who were using Mac's knew how to install and drag applications to the correct folder to run them. 

I was working under the same assumption. I suppose I should know better. But when people are so quick to blame others (such as WGT), it's fair to assume people know how to do the basics on their own computer. 

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 10:53 PM

Robert1893:

dedBuNNy:

+1

dedBuNNy:

I was working under the same assumption. I suppose I should know better. But when people are so quick to blame others (such as WGT), it's fair to assume people know how to do the basics on their own computer. 

Agreed. Certainly at a basic level like you say, installing applications is pretty basic and something anyone using a Mac or PC really should know how to work with. 

As a side note to those people having issues with the game. 

When you're posting in the forum about it, looking for help, include some relevant details. Some do, most don't.

With Mac's it is important to know what OS you're using and year of the system (your computer) because Apple has a long history of implementing security features without letting anyone know, thus breaking wifi, networking, printing, bluetooth, cpu throttling etc... Especially removing user rights and access to all manner of files and such. So ya, knowing what you're running helps a lot for certain issues. 

Also know that whatever the issue is - it's on your end. The game isn't very resource intensive, it's not utilizing very much in any areas really, it is still for the most part, the same game. Still runs within a browser shell and pushes almost every aspect of the game to your computer while playing via networking. 

As long as you download the file from WGT, take that file and move it to the user application folder and run it from there, you really should not have issues. If you copy the folder over, make sure you delete the one left on the desktop. 

Also, if you want to bypass the patcher/update routine, go into the packages application content and locate the golf.app. Drag that to the dock and start the game from there. If there is an important update, run from the main folder, once installed you can start from the dock again. 

You can run Steam version and the downloaded version at the same time. You can go back and forth if you want, for whatever reason. I find the Steam version can lag a bit, but that's to be expected as it's running along side Steam and it uses more resources than the game does

• Portofino
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2021 10:05 AM

This has been a complete *** storm . I continue to get not available on Safari I've been 

on WGT from 2009 to today , I guess its over for me , have fun !!!!

portofino , Legend

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2021 10:28 AM

No more Flash game, and the game has not been playable on Safari for some time now as they did away with Flash eons ago. 

Download the Mac app, open the file and drag it to your Application folder and run from there, or drag the launcher file to the Dock. 

This game actually plays nice on a Mac... 

• Miklagardgolf
    1 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2021 2:51 AM

I have done this and when I hit "play" it only opens a TextEdit document, not running the program...

I got a brand new Imac and MacOS Catalina.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2021 5:02 AM

Sounds like you've downloaded the PC version instead of the Mac. 

When you open the downloaded file on the desktop, you'll have a folder which is the game folder, you drag that to Applications. In there is the launcher.app

That is the file to run.... If it's not, then screen shot inside the game folder and post it so we can see what is in there. 

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2021 3:30 AM

I also have a Imac and the Wgt app works and have been using it for almost 6 months now.

• beerstine
    656 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 3:45 AM

Has anybody been having trouble with stuttering meter and choppy graphics under Big Sur?  I just upgraded the OS and reinstalled WGT from the .dmg to applications folder.  It's sporadic and random, but it the meter isn't smooth on nearly half my shots in a round.  Was OK on Mojave before the upgrade.

RSS