Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Upper tier Putters!

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:41 PM (62 replies)
  • NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Thu, Oct 22 2020 3:39 PM

I use the max control putter that is available early on but a little on the expensive side.  It has decent stats, although not great, but I like it because it has a 10 foot setting which is rare on WGT.  There are some nasty breaking 3 footers occasionally that unless you have perfect speed and line they don't go in.  With the 15 and 30 foot settings it's easy to put too much power on them.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2020 5:42 PM

NickolasMagos:

I use the max control putter that is available early on but a little on the expensive side.  It has decent stats, although not great, but I like it because it has a 10 foot setting which is rare on WGT.  There are some nasty breaking 3 footers occasionally that unless you have perfect speed and line they don't go in.  With the 15 and 30 foot settings it's easy to put too much power on them.

With a one putt percentage of 29%, don't give these players any putting advice lol! 
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2020 6:53 PM

NickolasMagos:
    With the 15 and 30 foot settings it's easy to put too much power on them.

I have to disagree on this. 

When I got to Level 98, I got the Sabertooth putter. I thought I would really like the 10-20-50 scale and purchased that version of the putter (i.e. the M2). The putter I had before was the Odyssey Versa (Level 70), which had the 15-30-60.

It took me the longest time to get used to the new scale. I still think the 15-30-60 scale is better. But I'm now used to the scale I have. 

Classic if I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased the M1 version of the Sabertooth. 

• NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2020 3:57 AM

When I transitioned from the starter putter to the max control putter I had a huge tendency of leaving 3 to 5 footers short by a few inches.  Eventually I got accustomed to it by adding a foot more to my calculations in case of big missed dings which rob energy.  Sometimes 2  feet more.

I will never go back to the 30 foot setting again because I find it invaluable with severe breaking short putts.  Before I would put too much energy on them and combined with over-compensating on the break factor would miss on the high side.

• NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2020 4:14 AM

claremoreblue:

NickolasMagos:

With a one putt percentage of 29%, don't give these players any putting advice lol! 

I never pretended to shoot in the 50s in the first place and always admit that putting is my weak point in the game.  I am used to plumb bobbing from previous games and adjusting to the dot system has not been easy for me.  But by cutting down dramatically on three putting my score has become manageable enough for me to shoot under par when I keep my meter misses about 5 to 10 percent.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2020 5:07 AM

I have always been curious. Why do most players prefer the 15/30/60 scale over the 10/20/50 scale?

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2020 8:56 AM

Cicero733:

I have always been curious. Why do most players prefer the 15/30/60 scale over the 10/20/50 scale?

While I really don't watch other players all that often, when the few times I have, I've noticed the better putters tend to use the higher scales on the putts (in general). For lack of a better way of putting it, it makes for a shorter backswing (on the meter). 

So, I simply think they wouldn't use the 10-foot meter. 

When I switched over from the 15-foot to 10-foot meter, my biggest problem was not hitting the ball hard enough. I really missed the 15-foot scale. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2020 9:14 AM

NickolasMagos:

When I transitioned from the starter putter to the max control putter I had a severe tendency of leaving 3 to 5 footers short by a few inches.  Eventually I got accustomed to it by adding a yard more to my calculations in case of big missed dings which rob energy.  Sometimes 2 yards more.

I will never go back to the 15 setting again because I find it invaluable with severe breaking short putts.  Before I would put too much energy on them and combined with over-compensating on the break factor would miss on the high side.

Your post illustrates two things. First, people simply need to learn the scales and how each works. And second, people need to discover what works best for them. 

Neither scale is inherently better than the other. One simply needs to find what works best for himself or herself. 

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2020 9:45 AM

While I really don't watch other players all that often, when the few times I have, I've noticed the better putters tend to use the higher scales on the putts (in general). For lack of a better way of putting it, it makes for a shorter backswing (on the meter). 

So, I simply think they wouldn't use the 10-foot meter. 

Yes I have noticed that as well and even in some cases they will bump up the scale x1 and hit from the lower end. I guess it’s just a matter of preference. I’ve always used the 10/20/50 scale and have no real experience with the 15/30/60. Wonder if ding rates improve with a shorter backswing? 

RSS