Forums

Help › Forums

Re: PRECISION FORGIVENESS BALANCE METER SPEED

Tue, Dec 20 2022 10:53 PM (42 replies)
  • pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2021 4:59 AM

so here's my confusion @DonCaron

Yes that's an excellent putter, mirrors the 98 Sabertooth stats essentially.  Yet the Gold Putter has numbers that dwarf these, but most people who have it say they don't get the feeling that it's any more precise or forgiving than this particular putter.  I am one of these folks.  I notice no tangible difference between the GP and the 98 Sabertooth, despite the ratings being significantly higher.

• SamSpayed
    4,890 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2021 2:37 PM

pdb1:
    I think that's why everybody has their own feel and has to find the equipment that feels right for them. It might feel completely wrong to somebody else. Regardless of what the numbers of the stats say.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but... I agree with pdb1.

A good example:  I gifted a Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 Putter M1 (L98+) to a friend of mine a few months back.  He used it for awhile and recently went to the Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Putter (L62+).  Spec-wise, that's a huge step down.  But if it feels good to him and fits his game, that's what he should use.

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2021 10:18 AM

pdb1:
    I think that's why everybody has their own feel and has to find the equipment that feels right for them.

Sure, BUT- We have access to tons of stats and when you look at the top players and the putting %s they put up then look at their equipment loadout- You won't see any starter putters, lvl 50-80 putters etc...

I dont think its an accident that most of the top players have almost same load outs, an example would be the hybrids- you see very few top tier players who consistently post low scores with a hybrid in their bag. no matter how well someones buddy plays with one in games now and then...

pdb1:
    It might feel completely wrong to somebody else. Regardless of what the numbers of the stats say.

Its all in what someone is trying to accomplish I guess, if scoring low and consistency is what your after- IMO you need to figure out how to make the higher lvl equipment work for you.

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Mon, Jul 26 2021 10:48 AM

pdb1:

Neither starter Putters or hybrids are good examples . Any player , not just " top tier " players know when equipment is not performing to their expected results .

Usually the first club to go is the starter putter .

If not the hybrid . If it isn't first , it will be second . Replaced with a 3rd wedge with much more versatility . A wedge can be used to pitch , chip , flop , punch and full . See here about 3rd wedges .

In fact you won't find a top or middle tier with a hybrid in their bag .

That is why one must try the different equipment available . Because it is more than

PRECISION

FORGIVENESS

BALANCE

METER SPEED

Why oh why did you just repeat back to me what I said in the first place...

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2021 1:56 PM

PureGro1:
    you see very few top tier players who consistently post low scores with a hybrid in their bag.

review the scores being shot with the etour SOTW clubs... 2 wedges and a hybrid included.  it can be done. 

---

the more plausible reason why most people dump the hybrid is because WGT did not gap it appropriately with other clubs.  as such - a hybrid is basically redundant yardage to a 3i with the higher level equipment.

players can play with 2 wedges, but using 3 becomes even easier and reduces yardage gaps which can add more precision- especially since there is little incentive to keeping a hybrid that will play similar to your 3i.

so, it is mostly a redundant club yardage - you could consider testing it with sponsor apparel as a maxed out hybrid that plays closer to a 3wd yardage but to do that you have to ditch the SE hat and most people prefer lengthening the driver distance. 

And - if you instead opt for maxed out iron distances - once again, your 3i will still play roughly the same as the hybrid... so why use a club with duplicated yardage?  

it can be valuable in the lower to mid range club setups because it offers a longer fairway yardage but eventually - it can easily be phased out of play. 

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2021 3:29 PM

pdb1:
      Maybe that's why I continued the discussion . I don't see what you might be having a problem with . I am just trying to help

Fair enough, just perplexing when I read a restatement of what I had said.

el3n1:
    review the scores being shot with the etour SOTW clubs... 2 wedges and a hybrid included.  it can be done. 

Agree that it can be done, I was using the hybrid as an example of something that just feels right to some people but really is not the best choice for this game.

All this aside the top 10 players in earnings all have basically the same loadouts, which is my point. Does anyone think this is by accident? Or that all of them just happen to feel most comfortable with higher lvl equipment? I think it is more likely that you will shoot lower and more consistent scores  by becoming comfortable with the higher lvl clubs.

RSS