Re: Ranking all 12 finishing holes in WGT

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 13 2019 9:37 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2019 5:45 PM

+1

Now that Oakmont is gone, Pinehurst is the best Course Manager's course.

I would like it better if the 565y par 4 ever played downwind lol.

DavidTomsFanatic:

fobby1980:
    12-Pinehurst: the vast majority of opinions among WGT players is that Pinehurst is a boring course

On the contrary, Pinehurst is one of my favourite courses because it punishes reckless aggression and rewards patience. There are some holes you can attack and other holes in which you should play for the middle of the green and settle for par. Course management is key to give you the best chance of making the best score. 

There are two holes I don't like though, the par-4 4th and par-4 16th, they are basically par 5s unless you're a long hitter.

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:11 PM

Doesn’t change my point though. Course Manager is just another euphemism for boring. I’ve been wracking my brain and honestly I could not identify any hole that’s memorable. It sure looks like every hole is a dogleg playing to a pin location that’s perilously close to hazards, par 5s included. The only one seems worthwhile to remember is of course #4, but not for reasons you might think of. 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:47 PM

fobby1980:
    Course Manager is just another euphemism for boring.

Strange. I always thought it was synonymous with "intelligent."

My bad.

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:52 PM

Perhaps I was thinking of the term “game manager” in football when I wrote that. Might have been wrong, but that doesn’t make the rest of my post any less right. 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2019 8:01 PM

While true, it doesn't make it any more correct either. :-)

• mega1byte
    750 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:20 AM

K7JBQ:
    On the contrary, Pinehurst is one of my favourite courses because it punishes reckless aggression and rewards patience

I total believe Pinehurst has its purpose, It teaches new golfers precision and the art of getting par's. 

Its a great challenge course for experienced golfers to go head to head on. As one mistake and your cooked lol.

But thats my opinion 

Mega1byte

• SeveFrost
    1,478 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2019 11:49 AM

I find Pebble Beach 18 pretty straight forward even from the back tees, so the #1 for me would be Congressional. Hitting to that back pin, especially if you're +200 yards out is like the 17th at Sawgrass on steroids

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2019 12:22 PM

SeveFrost:

I find Pebble Beach 18 pretty straight forward even from the back tees, so the #1 for me would be Congressional. Hitting to that back pin, especially if you're +200 yards out is like the 17th at Sawgrass on steroids

I agree. That’s why I said the approach might be the best one in WGT. But can you realistically make eagle at Congressional? My ranking is mostly based on how exciting to play that hole and PB is far more exciting than Congressional. 

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2019 9:37 AM

SeveFrost:
    so the #1 for me would be Congressional. Hitting to that back pin, especially if you're +200 yards out

Definately, especially if your heading for a good finish, or your using a new ball.

And Pinehurst is a great course.

• PAGES
RSS