Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Sand calculation

Fri, Nov 18 2022 6:10 PM (28 replies)
  • CSM111
    119 Posts
    Wed, Nov 9 2022 3:03 PM

BWerthy:

Bunkers from 50 yards and in requires 1 very simple calculation. 

for 15-20 bunkers, no change. Hit it normal.
    for 30-40 bunkers, multiply your distance by .3.  Add that plus or minus elevation.  
    for 40-50 bunkers, multiply your distance by .375. Add that plus or minus elevation.  
    for 50-60 bunkers, multiply your distance by .4.  Add that plus or minus elevation.

this is what I have worked out over trial and error and I like it a lot more than the formula previously expressed.  That formula is a general idea, but you might be adding 10 to something that needs 8 or 12 depending on the distance.  Using the multipliers I use will get you usually with 1-2 yards of the hole. Must also account for wind and green speeds, but my bunker stats don’t lie  All shots from the bunker are full back spin as well btw.  

thanks I will give your formula a try, let’s say I have 22 yards with 30/40 lie and +6 elevation, This would be 22x.3+6=  34.6 . Is your answer in 34.6 yards or 34.6%. Just wondering, how can you find 34 yards exactly on shot bar. 
    Thanks 

• Kalliste
    1,404 Posts
    Thu, Nov 10 2022 3:02 PM

CSM111

If you are using a 60 yards wedge and you have Shot-Pal, then your power bar / shot bar will be divided up into 10 lines at 6 yds-12 yds-18 yds-24 yds-30 yds (half way) and etc up to the 9th line at 54 yds. 

Therefore you would stop the shot bar / power bar at almost the 6th line which is 36 yds. So stopping a tad before that 6th line will get you close to the 34 yds mark.

If you lowest wedge is a 50 yards one, then the 10 lines are at intervals of 5 yards. So you would stop the shot bar just before the 7th line at 35 yards.

Hope this helps you,

Kind regards

Kalliste

• CSM111
    119 Posts
    Sat, Nov 12 2022 6:26 AM

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it as others I am sure will also 

• CSM111
    119 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2022 5:26 AM

Kalliste

so is it safe to assume you can use this logic with any club. For Example my PW wedge max is 110. If I take 110/10 = 11yards for each mark so my midway marker would = 55 yards and say my 8th marker would = 88 yards, Of course this would be a bare bones estimate since you have to account for wind, ball, and apparel. But I would think this would take some guess work out of it. Thanks again for your previous answer it has been a help 

• Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2022 4:49 PM

Just a suggestion… Distances aren’t linear with clubs. The best way to determine distance is to know the maximum distance your club will go (usually with full backspin). Then you do a simple division. Your PW goes 110 yds full powered. You need to go 103 yds. Divide the distance you need to hit by the maximum distance of the club you are using. So, 103/110 = .936 (convert to percentage 93.6). To go 103 yds with your PW you need to hit with 94% power. 

Best to map your irons by finding out the maximum distance for each club. Then use those numbers to divide into distances to determine the power percentage to hit.

There is a “kinda” linear relationship on the upper ends of the power scale, but as you approach 90% that relationship breaks down. 

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Fri, Nov 18 2022 6:35 AM

CSM111:

thanks I will give your formula a try, let’s say I have 22 yards with 30/40 lie and +6 elevation, This would be 22x.3+6=  34.6 . Is your answer in 34.6 yards or 34.6%. Just wondering, how can you find 34 yards exactly on shot bar. 

Thanks 

I have a map of my clubs, and I have it down to 10% intervals. 100% full shot goes 50, 90% shot goes 42, 80% shot goes 36.  75 percent goes 32 and 70% goes 28.  That is what my mapping does for the L91 64 degree wedge.  

And you did the calculations exactly as I would have.   You must also take into account greenspeed and slope, that just comes with practice   If it’s an up hill shot, maybe give it a little extra on slow greens as it won’t roll as far as a faster green would  etc etc

if you are on Facebook or discord, I’m happy to share with you my exact numbers for full shots, punch shots and pitch shots.  

hope whatever advice you find or take in works for you.  I have had great success with those simple calculations, works ok for the 75y wedge but I don’t think it holds up when I get to the 100y wedge.  Too much distance most times  

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Fri, Nov 18 2022 7:41 AM

~>  You must also take into account green speed and slope, that just comes with practice.

Using "12" green speeds... There is a realization that some bunker-to-pin-placement situations may become demoralizing :-) You simply have to be very careful with down elevations in front of and behind the pin!

For example. Congressional #10. Pin placement right & bunker (30/40) right. Distance from ball to pin 19/3 on "12" speed greens. 

~ Out of the Screws ~

• CSM111
    119 Posts
    Fri, Nov 18 2022 7:43 AM

Thanks I will take a look and try this 

• CSM111
    119 Posts
    Fri, Nov 18 2022 6:10 PM

Bwerthy

If you figured like I did we both have about same calculation as Cicero’s formula, for example. in my example let’s assume my PW maxis 110 FBS I took 110/10 marks to identify each mark , this equaled first mark at 11 yards and midway or 5th Mark at 55 yards , Cicero formula states if I need 55 yards to take yards needed and divide by max which is 55/110 = 50 as a percentage 50 %, which is at midway mark same outcome. Worked same for 88 yards at 8th mark or 80% with Cicero’s method, with that said I understand about shot pal markers are not linear like the putter pal markers, and there is a whole lot of other variables, but this along with other variables figured in has been more help in my case. I am sure others may chime in with their own way of figuring this and the more the merrier since I believe we are all here to help each other out. 

RSS