Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Sand calculation

Fri, Nov 18 2022 6:10 PM (28 replies)
  • Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Thu, Oct 22 2020 5:59 PM

Linda1012:

Hi Question, if your calculation comes to 59, why do you only hit your 60y wedge at 59% is your calculation of 59 not in yards?

Good catch Linda! That post was 2 years ago so he may not reply.

fobby’s formula above is pretty good and works if the conditions are right.

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Tue, Oct 27 2020 7:34 PM

WGT hiccup

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Tue, Oct 27 2020 7:52 PM

Another WGT hiccup...

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:42 PM

WGT hiccup....

• ugatreydawg
    12 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2021 9:05 PM

Did you or anyone ever make that spreadsheet?  

• CSM111
    119 Posts
    Mon, Oct 17 2022 12:12 PM

May have to try for yourself, but I use this formula and although the result is in yards just mentally make it percent and it works , you will see the difference if you use yards, 

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Mon, Oct 31 2022 9:11 AM

Bunkers from 50 yards and in requires 1 very simple calculation. 

for 15-20 bunkers, no change. Hit it normal.
    for 30-40 bunkers, multiply your distance by .3.  Add that plus or minus elevation.  
    for 40-50 bunkers, multiply your distance by .375. Add that plus or minus elevation.  
    for 50-60 bunkers, multiply your distance by .4.  Add that plus or minus elevation.

this is what I have worked out over trial and error and I like it a lot more than the formula previously expressed.  That formula is a general idea, but you might be adding 10 to something that needs 8 or 12 depending on the distance.  Using the multipliers I use will get you usually with 1-2 yards of the hole. Must also account for wind and green speeds, but my bunker stats don’t lie  All shots from the bunker are full back spin as well btw.  

• CSM111
    119 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2022 10:40 AM

This is a great formula , and works good I used to use a calculator to figure until I found an easier way. When looking at distance to pin from bunker (1) just double that number (2) look right below the distance and add or subtract elevation these two numbers are one above the other (3) then just add the number listed for your lie in the sand (4) Mentality make the result a percentage. I just had to make a note on piece of paper of values for the lie in sand. You will find out this can be done very quickly after a few tries. Again thanks for the thread it is a great assets. Of course you need to allow for other factors but this will help get it close. 

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2022 9:15 AM

CSM111:

This is a great formula , and works good I used to use a calculator to figure until I found an easier way. When looking at distance to pin from bunker (1) just double that number (2) look right below the distance and add or subtract elevation these two numbers are one above the other (3) then just add the number listed for your lie in the sand (4) Mentality make the result a percentage. I just had to make a note on piece of paper of values for the lie in sand. You will find out this can be done very quickly after a few tries. Again thanks for the thread it is a great assets. Of course you need to allow for other factors but this will help get it close. 

I’ve tried the original formula for this thread and it has never worked for me.  Thats what makes this a good game are the various ways to get your ballon the hole, whichever works best for you.  

my simple multiplier is very easy and efficient and since I worked out the numbers my sand game has certainly improved.  

eithrr way, hope someone finds the help they have been looking for  

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2022 10:40 AM

Here's a bunker calculator with good commentary by Babzilla. I can say the calculator is pretty close to my mapping data. 

Instead of using a formula or calculator, I've mapped my bunker shots. For me, this gives be a reliable base line for initial distance. The shot roll out is so dependent on dots speed movement, plus elevation in front of and behind the pin. 

RSS