Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Palm Desert Resort Country Club

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 10 2018 1:40 PM (3 replies)
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, Jun 28 2018 4:45 PM

I've been playing this one for a few years now but just realized during today's round I never reviewed it here.

https://www.theresorter.com/golf/club-info

First off, very inexpensive when booked through golfnow.com. Our tee time was at 9:15 am,beating most of the summer heat in Palm Springs. $18.25 included 18 holes of play, cart with ice chest, bucket of practice balls for the range and a bottle of water for each player in the group. If we wanted to deal with the heat we could  have teed off at noon for only $14 with the same perks.

The course has been remodeled during the last few years in response to the drought here in southern California. The photos on the website were taken before the remodel which added a lot of strategic waste areas and removed a fair amount of grass. Existing lakes were left alone other than one on #14 which is still there but drained for watering the plants at that end of the course.

This is a very flat course with water and waste areas that require some thought and placement of  shots. Fairways have a few bare patches at this time of the year but the turf is kept soft so playing off those patches is not bad. It's not hardpan.

The course is part of a condominium complex so errant shots can hit condos but I would say a shot has to be VERY offline on almost all of the holes to hit one.

Greens roll smoothly and fairly; they have some deceptive breaks. It's fair to say there are no flat greens on this course but they are not extreme either. The greens are kept in very good shape and are very receptive on incoming approach shots.

This seems to be one of the best kept secrets in the Palm Springs area. With a 9:15 tee time my wife and I had no one catch us and we caught up to no one else. We had our own private golf course for 18 holes. In fact, on the 16th hole the group in front of us had already finished 18 and the group behind us was over 3 holes behind.

This was my wife's third time on a golf course as a player and she loved it.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jun 30 2018 12:37 AM

Pretty cheap price to play.  Sounds great. 

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jun 30 2018 11:11 AM

It's a resort designed for "snow birds" and retirees so they make it very user-friendly. Hospitality is very good. The people are very friendly including the workers around the course. Always a wave and a smile. 

I'll add that the rough is not too long so it's not very penalizing; it's very easy to find and hit balls from it. The sand traps are in very good shape too. They might get hard by the end of summer as is typical of many desert courses but they are full of good sand and soft right now. We didn't find any rocks in them and almost every trap had at least two rakes. 

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2018 1:40 PM

golfnow= hotdeals ,  palmdesert ,you're welcome.....  get out and play 9 for real , played PGA West Nicklaus private so niiice out finally :))))

RSS