Thu, Dec 14 2017 2:48 PM (6 replies)
  • melon4
    1 Posts
    Mon, Nov 27 2017 4:45 PM

the breaks on the greens are so inconsistent why

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2017 9:35 AM

The simple answer is that there are more variables than constants in golf, both IRL and here.

Green speeds are one of the variables...you never really have an idea of the true green speed until you've putted the first green on any given course at any given time. The Legend rule of green speed equals indicated distance x 0.75 will get you close, but some days it will leave you short, and some days it will leave you long.

Breaks vary with green speed; the faster the green, the more pronounced the break.

It's just another reason why golf is so challenging.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2017 9:53 AM

One answer about this topic has explained this is because of the varying position of the avatar on the green.

Sometimes it's straight on the money, other times they are skewed to the right area a little, sometimes to the left a little. Sometimes it's skewed a lot.

This position of the avatar, as claimed by the pro players (fmagnets being on of them, I believe) has an affect on how the dots are translating the break.

I can't find the thread but there is a great explanation about why sometimes the dots show a break but yet it's a straight putt.

Sometimes the break shows a straight putt butt it may roll to the left/right.

IFAIK this is unique to WGT (Nicklaus Signature edition had something similar w/ the shifting putter) but this is a challenge that I've yet to wrap my head around.

The moving avatar has an effect on what the dots are telling you. 

edit:

here are some of those posts about the green dots:

fmagnets: This video might help explain it better.

PhiEaglesFan  'Kiawah grids are exacerbated by the fact that your avatar is typically 20-30 degrees off-center on a lot of putts.'

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/375895/2613170.aspx

also

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/157160.aspx

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2017 9:58 AM

I think this may be the Thread you were thinking of

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/287946.aspx

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2017 12:36 PM

Ken,

Excellent, thank you. Never saw that thread before.

Apex's last comment was very useful. On many courses, I've found that switching to chip mode when lining up a putt greatly simplifies reading the break, particularly at Kiawah.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2017 12:56 PM

K7JBQ:
    I've found that switching to chip mode when lining up a putt greatly simplifies reading the break

I see a lot of guys do that and I never understood why. I know it was to read putts but what about it makes it easier for you? I have an alarmingly high number of dinged putts just miss and it's driving me crazy trying to figure out why. (That link to Fmag's video shed some light on it.)

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2017 2:48 PM

Jim,

It was first suggested to me by a lady I was playing who was putting lights out and beating me like a big drum. The first time I tried it was at Kiawah, where I never could read the dang greens. I did the front nine in nine putts (never done that since, mind you, but it was an eye-opener.)

It just uncomplicates things, particularly in smoothing out double breakers. And at Kiawah, the read you get on breaks just seems more accurate.

Give it a try and see what you think.

RSS