Never underestimate HK.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Jun 4 2022 4:02 PM

HamdenPro:

SimonTheBeetle:
    Aha! I see, I see.... Quite sly, eh!

Never underestimate HK.

Henry has collected 6931 names on his FL, and is still going strong. I sometimes wonder if only a "Bot" could do that...lol

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jun 4 2022 4:47 PM

ct690911:
    I sometimes wonder if only a "Bot" could do that.

Not just any bot...We may be talking about the Greatest Bot on WGT!!

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Sat, Jun 4 2022 4:47 PM

Riviera CC is a local course that has a bunker in the middle of the 6th green. Wedges are likely mandatory at some point and perfectly legal.  

During a practice session a while back, I tried a wedge on the green... pretty much nothing but 3 yds of roll on the couple attempts I made. Has WGT made wedges less effective on greens since the OP posted a couple years ago? Fringe is open to all shots. 

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jun 4 2022 4:55 PM

Duphpherer:
    othing but 3 yds of roll on the couple attempts I made. Has WGT made wedges less effective on greens since the OP posted a couple years ago?

Nope, you can still use wedges on the green. You have to set it for full wedge and hit power for 200% (yes- 200%) of distance. Good luck and let us know what you think.  

I have a friend who uses his wedge all the time, on the greens, which, personally, I do not approve, unless long putts, like over 80' on St A's, but it works for him.

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Sat, Jun 4 2022 5:18 PM

HamdenPro:

Nope, you can still use wedges on the green. You have to set it for full wedge and hit power for 200% (yes- 200%) of distance. Good luck and let us know what you think.  

I have a friend who uses his wedge all the time, on the greens, which, personally, I do not approve, unless long putts, like over 80' on St A's, but it works for him.

I'll have to go back and revisit my options on the greens. There's been a few times where I've barely crawled onto a par 5 green and found myself stymied by a peninsula of rough between my ball and the hole. 

Those are the times it's sometimes better to leave yourself off the green completely. I just can't help myself from trying to reach. lol 

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Sun, Jun 5 2022 10:05 AM

HamdenPro:

Ha! I couldn't have planned this better.

Last night, in a coin game match, 17th hole St. Andrews. Think it was 17, the hole with blind drive over building. My wind driven drive ended up in brush with the horrible lie. I only managed to get to the front of that kidney shaped green. Of course the perfect scenario with a big chunk of rough between my ball and the pin 90 feet away. No way could I putt anywhere near the flag. Being as my opponent was likely going to win anyway perfect conditions to try the full 60 yard wedge shot. If I could manage par, at least he'd have to make a five footer to win.

You called it HP, I hit a full wedge (net 30 yds on green) over the rough and the ball ended up about 6 ft from the cup which I sank for par. Opponent congratulated me on saving par while making his bird. So nice to know that option is available. It's like a new weapon in the golf bag. Thanks. 

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sun, Jun 5 2022 2:17 PM

FWIW I haven’t tested these in awhile, but I ran across a mapping for wedge putts with the Cleveland 64° and 60° wedges a few years back. If I remember correctly, you should allow about 3 yds for roll out (level putts). I used these numbers when backspin was allowed on wedge putts in the mobile game and no roll out allowance was required.

64° Wedge

38’  50%

48’  60%

58’  70%

68’  80%

78’  90%

60° Wedge

88’  90%

98’ 100%

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Jun 5 2022 2:48 PM

Duphpherer:
    Ha! I couldn't have planned this better

Duphpherer:
    You called it HP, I hit a full wedge (net 30 yds on green) over the rough and the ball ended up about 6 ft from the cup which I sank for par

LMAO - Love to hear it.  I am glad you got that shot now. 

RSS