Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How do you calculate "rough" shots?

Fri, Oct 8 2021 9:54 AM (8 replies)
  • Golfindoog
    10 Posts
    Sat, Sep 16 2017 6:39 AM

Total newb question; when you get stuck in a "rough" and it says it's a "23-30%" lie, what does that mean? How to you adjust your shot from that? Hit that percentage MORE? Please help!

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, Sep 16 2017 9:12 AM

Here's a good place to start, straight from the FAQs:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/7840/49253.aspx

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 16 2017 9:30 AM

The Cliff notes version.....that % is how much of the ball is buried. 30-40, add 1 club. 40-50, add 2 clubs. Anything deeper than that, punch to the nearest fairway and minimize the damage. Spin on a shot is drastically reduced, if not altogether useless-expect roll.

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Sat, Sep 16 2017 10:17 AM

G,

I have read alot of the post concerning this question. They are for the most part good advice and have helpful tips in them. But remember that each club/ball combo reacts differently to any situation. Note that I said club not club set.

For this reason although I can use these diffent post as guides, I have taken the time to map my wedges and irons out. I freely admit that I have not spent equal time with all my clubs doing this, as I break my irons down into a few diffent categories: the zone clubs, the placement clubs, and the surgical instraments. Because of this I have spent varying amounts of time working on each group.

For the zone clubs (3wd - 5iron) I have done this only enough to see how spin and rough will effect the distance and any associated roll out. I use these clubs to get the ball to portion of the green or fairway. Due to the precision/forgiveness ratios multiplied by length of shot, any super precise result from these is a welcome bonus, however you wont get a chance at those results unless you really know what each of your clubs can and can't do.

For the placement clubs (6iron - 9iron) I use these clubs to try and nail an exact area on the green or fairway, by area I mean trying to get the ball into a box less than 2 yards square. I have spent much more time in practice mode repetitively hiting the same shot over and over with spin and power combos so that I have a very good idea of what each shot will do in a given situation. This is what I refer to as mapping the club, by using mulligans I have been able to hit exact same shot with the exact same conditions over and over. 

For the surgical instraments (all wedges including the PW) I use these clubs to try and keep the putter in the bag. With care and practice these clubs are capable of sticking the ball within 1-2 feet of your target consistantly. But to do this you need lots of practice and experiance. I have spent approximately 3-4 times as much time mapping these clubs as i have on the 6-9irons.

A big note here, Every time you upgrade either clubs or balls the previous results become historic info. This info is useful in a guidance sence but it is not current, so you will need to re-map the clubs. The historic info will help here as you will reach the results much quicker because your theorys should be based more on facts and less on guesses.

If you have read this far are you getting the idea that it takes experiance (read practice) and lots of it to get a solid grip on handleing the challenges this game can and will throw at you?

If you say yes, then you are on the path to gain the knowlege in a systematic way that will help you.

If you say no, well then you are going to start looking for the magic formula and run around in circles cussing and moaning aobut how this game is screwing you.

The funny thing about circles is you end up right back at this point with a little more experiance, and get to make the choice all over again. You can get this experiace either way you chose but to improve you will have to acquire it one way or the other.

• Squeezeman
    27 Posts
    Sun, Sep 17 2017 8:05 PM

Few years back an expert player laid out simple plan.( not me )  30-40 rough multiply shot by 1.1 . Example 90 yard shot would be hit 99 yards.  40-50 rough would be multiplied by 1.2.  Example 90 yard shot would be hit 108 yards. Works pretty well .  Rob

• Trent0419
    11 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2021 10:36 PM

I've been doing a different calculation that seems to work well. For 30-40% rough, I add 5 yards for every 50 yards distance, and for 40-50% I add 10 yards for every 50 yards distance. So a 100 yard shot becomes 110 from 30% rough, and becomes 120 yards form 40% rough. 

• Greynurse0
    37 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2021 6:23 AM

Interesting. In my experience, the results can be mixed. eg, 25-30% rough = add 10 yards or 1 club.  30-40% rough = add 3 clubs and subtract 5%. Sounds wierd but seems to work. This method also varies with distance from the pin and courses, eg. At St Andrews, the 25-30% rough has no effect on some holes. At Bethpage Black, punching out of a 30-40% rough is the best option. Experience is the best coach.

What I do know is that many of the tutorials posted are for the much older Flash version of the game and formulas posted 3 years ago simply don't apply that well on the PC game today. 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2021 9:54 AM

Greynurse0:
    What I do know is that many of the tutorials posted are for the much older Flash version of the game and formulas posted 3 years ago simply don't apply that well on the PC game today. 

most tips or tutorials are generalizations as it is... otherwise - the game still plays the same essentially on both platforms...

what is different can be different club and ball combinations ... some clubs especially wedges play stronger out of the rough than other wedges ... which means some generalizations won't apply or seem wrong or off... this is a challenge when giving advice while not being able to cover every scenario, I believe.

add in, the new platform incorporates apparel - that can also change how your clubs play out of the rough, the brush etc... then you can not expect the "flash" tips to apply to clubs and ball combinations that are also now enhanced based on apparel enhancements.

if you remove every piece of apparel - and use the exact same club ball combo as the person sharing the tip or tutorial - then the advice should be fairly close - then again, I too have found or discovered inaccurate or "bad" advice that could not be replicated or be reasonably close.  So - you can't necessarily trust everything you read... 

the best tip - is to recommend players do a basic mapping on their own and learn what applies for their style of play ie club/ball combo, landing and release or trying to throw the ball to the hole or playing safe back into the fairway - everything else is likely a generalization that may or may not work - especially if they are using apparel and it effects play out of the rough, brush, fescue. etc...

relying too much on other people's suggestion or tips will often leave you at some point in a situation where it won't work for you - and that critical shot may lead to bogey versus saving par - and 1 stroke can be a huge difference in some of the biggest events.

Learn what works for YOU!

RSS