Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Sorry,

Mon, Jun 19 2017 1:59 AM (6 replies)
  • txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Tue, Jun 13 2017 1:30 AM

Real Players. Freddy'd kick yo ***. Ben would run you down. Lee would laugh all the way at you smirkin' w/ Seve chucklin'. Sammy'd take a swing and Ol' Tom wouldn't get woods aren't wood.

Payne soothed it all and Lefty finally got it right.

Jack it up and gimme a Palmer.

You all know the rest.

I still believe Stuart walks every golf course that we play.

I didn't forget anyone, I just gotta stand down for now.

~txzdave~

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jun 13 2017 10:48 PM

Aw, ya had to mention Payne, was a jerker for sure, late 90's in his own aircraft...damn, was it the US Open he'd won, or the PGA before the incident?

Damn, gotta go Google this stuff now, still miss them fluffy pants.

• txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Tue, Jun 13 2017 11:33 PM

And he told Lefty some great stuff.....Grabbed him and said something to the effect of.............

You are a Father, You won.

Priceless moment.          Still and will always be among the Pines.

He did what he is doing now because of that moment, I believe.

Phil did it, saw it, won it, and I think owns it. He gets it.

I dig Lefty and I'm right.

Still the best......Payne

~    ~

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Jun 14 2017 12:14 AM

That's right, the Open at Pinehurst was the major he'd won...dang,you remember he smiled and grinned after a poor shot, just the same as if he put it to 5 feet out of a fairway trap from 180 yards.

An act of class for sure.

Thanks for jogging the memory:)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Jun 14 2017 12:19 AM

Payne was great for the game, and in the day and age of robotic golfers, was a breath of fresh air.

The crash was always a bit of a mystery and the charter company was found not liable for the crash. Certainly hypoxia affected the crew (and even a very short period affects cognitive functions) but the whys are unknown. Rumours abounded....but sadly we will never know the reason.

There was also a case in Australia a year later on a Beechcraft where the same thing happened, and the ATSB recommended that all pressurized aircraft also have an aural warning. CASA did not make this compulsory and only issued a notice recommending aural warnings. Poor move IMO

Again  a lack of a FDR hindered the investigation leaving it open for speculation.....

I have had several good discussions on both incidents, I have my speculative ideas but that is not for on here.

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Wed, Jun 14 2017 10:45 AM

alanti:
    The crash was always a bit of a mystery and the charter company was found not liable for the crash. Certainly hypoxia affected the crew (and even a very short period affects cognitive functions) but the whys are unknown. Rumours abounded....but sadly we will never know the reason.

The plane was hitting 45,000 ft at times and then dropping rapidly to 30,000. WTF! 

I cant even imagine how the fighter pilots must have felt. Seeing and knowing that the plane and everyone inside were already doomed. What a sick feeling that must have been for sure.

Payne was AWESOME!  None of us had the opportunity to experience golf  and "everything the game stands for" at its peak. He would have won MANY more Majors fooor sure.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jun 19 2017 1:59 AM

overtheedge:
    The plane was hitting 45,000 ft at times and then dropping rapidly to 30,000. WTF! 

Jeff, that is not my recollection from the NTSB final report (although some papers speculated that). As there was no FDR the only data came from the intercepts by the fighter pilots. This was reported as high as FL490 (some 10,000 feet above the planned cruise) and slowly descended until it exhausted fuel, where it spiraled downwards out of control. 

One thing is for sure, I think he would have won more majors, and continued to be a fantastic ambassador for the game. He is still missed.

RSS