Help › Forums

Re: Intentionally raising average

Thu, May 11 2023 9:19 AM (42 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 7:29 AM

alosso:

lonniescott711:
    Once you play down your highest scores then you have to play down the next highest and so on . So for every 30 you now have to post a 29 to lower the avg . So then the game gets tighter and tighter .

At the bottom of it, we need to post a <saturation> number of scores that form the <threshold> average. Anything else is irrelevant in the tiering business, and all the higher scores outside this pool fall into oblivion.

lonniescott711:
    So then you go back and post some high scores and it makes the game play easier . I call it throwing the dog a bone . It works real well if you play a lot of credit tournaments or brackets  or to just back the vem up .

Do we agree that those high scores do not contribute to average and tiering?

Then, are you trying to hide your playing potential from the game with the illusion of "I play high scores"? I have the impression that this might work in one game but I'm critical if it might work between games(?)

Once saturation is reached although the scores wont raise the avg , it will still record and become a score to be played down . This is the throwing the dog a bone and causes the game to play easier .

Now before saturation playing up the avg will only prolong tier elevation for a short while .But it too will cause the game to play easier . I stumbled upon this find after reading one of the threads on Vem / deviation . Since according to the explanation of how it works the better a player plays the more the game will tighten the parameters of the game . This makes the game play harder .

But the poorer a player plays the game will expand the parameters of the game and play easier . So posting the high scores does trick the game into playing easier and reduces the level of vem that a player may get . Its not to trick players just the game and it will work according to how many high scores are posted and what the better scores that are posted to remove them .

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 7:47 AM

All good thoughts and fair enough..................I would say that even a player like myself, when I was playing all the time and not rusty like now after a lay off, can happily get through 200RGs on the trot without VEM making any meaningful difference to final overall results.  50 - 200 credit RGs and not minting it, but TL to Champ with pretty much pure RG play and some profit...........

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 7:49 AM

If that's true Lonnie, why isn't everyone doing it?  It seems like a no brainer to me if the game really does that.  Shoot a bunch of high scores, then go play in the VUSO qualifier or a VT event.

I posted a high score yesterday to see if I was saturated yet, and I'm not. @ 800 ranked rounds.  Anyone have a ballpark # of rounds for when they saturated as a Legend?

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 8:38 AM

I cant speak for everyone else or for what they do . I can only speak to my observations of the game . As for when will you reach saturation at Legend tier not sure but think it`s around 200 ranked rounds . Been so long ago now and also the numbers may have changed with the addition of the new tiers  .

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 9:12 AM

It hasn't changed, Lonnie, there only are a few "new rules" when new tiers arrive.

Legend saturation was and is 500 ranked rounds, the threshold to TL being 60.000.

200 is the # for TL rounds towards C (59.00 threshold).

@kavvz: It's not your total # of rounds but only your Legend rounds.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 9:23 AM

lonniescott711:
    Once saturation is reached although the scores wont raise the avg , it will still record and become a score to be played down .

Recorded, yes, but counting in, no.

Once the pool of 200 Champion scores is filled for you, higher scores will be "out" forever. Only the scores in the pool have to be replaced one by one to move the average down (not that it matters much with no tier to promote to).

lonniescott711:
    Now before saturation playing up the avg will only prolong tier elevation for a short while .
    Only for the duration of that game, I'm sure. As I said before, all those precious high scores have no effect eventually. Take the 70, 67, 65, 62 scores in my example - in the end, it's irrelevant if they were posted or not.

lonniescott711:
    But it too will cause the game to play easier .

I understand your point now and can neither confirm nor object.

Good luck!

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 4:20 PM

Well thx for the input everyone.

Basically, those high scores someone would post to raise average before saturation are kind of like ticking time bombs...once you're saturated they are going to be gone real quick.

So, it really serves no purpose to raise your average in the hopes of prolonging promotion.

However, the theory that shooting high scores makes the game easier deserves some exploration.  I'm gonna try it out.  No one think less of me!  ;) Lol

• SouthernSlam
    215 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2021 3:05 PM

Question for the community. Played Casablanca today and drew a player that was Level 87, Tour Pro, 102 average, Stats said 2 ranked rounds. It took the player 3 shots to reach the green on the first hole, then hit a 5 iron back into the fairway. Player kept hitting the ball back and forth until maximum shots reached. Player did this on all three holes - took maximum shots. What am I missing? Why would a player pay 10K coins to shoot a 30 on 3 holes? Is there some benefit I'm not aware of for intentionally shooting very high scores?

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2021 6:50 AM

SouthernSlam:

Question for the community. Played Casablanca today and drew a player that was Level 87, Tour Pro, 102 average, Stats said 2 ranked rounds. It took the player 3 shots to reach the green on the first hole, then hit a 5 iron back into the fairway. Player kept hitting the ball back and forth until maximum shots reached. Player did this on all three holes - took maximum shots. What am I missing? Why would a player pay 10K coins to shoot a 30 on 3 holes? Is there some benefit I'm not aware of for intentionally shooting very high scores?

They are just trying to get you to quit and give them the coins. They are trying to waste your time.

THere is no reason other than that. Coin games don't count towards any stat in any way.

• davidfren
    2 Posts
    Sun, Aug 15 2021 6:13 AM

kavvz:

Ran into a player today who obviously shoots high scores at random times so as to avoid tier promotion.  

Understanding the reasoning why some would want to do it, was wondering...

1) Does WGT officially do anything to these players, or is it just a part of the game.

2) What does the community think of it

Although I've never done it, I have to say it has its merits for those who do ok (ok i'd define as earns enough to pay for balls) at one tier, but yet wouldn't fair so well playing against the likes of fmags & sebicu seeing as there's no TL ready go's or brackets...or are there? Perhaps I've just missed them?  Does the site hide them from me because I can't play in them?  Anyway...

...know what I'm sayin'?

p.s. I'm aware of saturation so sooner or later avg. will only go down, but one can certainly delay tier promotion.

I got ur point thanks

RSS