Re: Cheaper courses

Thu, Jun 15 2017 12:27 PM (37 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Sat, Jun 10 2017 11:20 AM

Stryder1261:
    imo, I dont care if they are famous well known courses,

Same here.

But, then again, neither of us works in WGT's marketing department. :-)

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sat, Jun 10 2017 11:30 AM

Same here as well.

Any couse the pros use would do me.

Golfer pros that is ;-)

• spaceghost88
    1,621 Posts
    Sun, Jun 11 2017 4:03 AM

+1 We need an off tour low profile but scenic course ; ]]

SG88

• Edgey54321
    547 Posts
    Tue, Jun 13 2017 12:16 AM

I wonder if Oakmont signed an agreement in 2007 with WGT when they hosted that years US Open.

Is it possible that it was just that those 10 years were up and neither side wanted to continue.

The problem WGT have is encouraging new members who will spend money because thats what its all about. Many of us have been members for many years when we  joined we thought the game was the bees knees, and if I and you were enamoured with it when we joined why should current new players not also be happy, as they know nothing else.

One interesting thought however is that I always look at the new player photos top right of the WGT Players page. Over time these photo's are remaining on the page longer and longer. Is that because there are less and less people joining? because if that's the case then we could be into a rough time if WGT go into saving money mode. Is that what Oakmont was about

Incidentally I have just looked at the Top Golf games on my tablet one on one version only 236 players are playing that type of game at 0900 London Time, compare that with 8 ball pool where those playing one on one games is more that 144,000 people. Somebody has got it right.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Jun 13 2017 2:45 AM

Edgey54321:
    I wonder if Oakmont signed an agreement in 2007 with WGT when they hosted that years US Open.

Is it possible that it was just that those 10 years were up and neither side wanted to continue.

This thought has some logic in it, but I dissent, because the time line doesn't fit. Why should they have delayed the publication of OAK for three years, until 2010 (replacing the USO site Pebble Beach then which then only came as a CTTH and a short time special of 18 holes)?

Mind you, the sequence was

2007 KIA CTTH (USO at OAK)

late 2008 KIA full 18 (USO at Torrey Pines)

2009 BPB (USO location)

2010 OAK (USO at PB)

From then on, always the USO locations have been published for the VUSO:

2011 CCC

2012 OLY

2013 MER

2014 PIN

2015 CHB

2016 (OAK), exceptionally: PB

2017 ERH

• Edgey54321
    547 Posts
    Tue, Jun 13 2017 3:55 AM

alosso:
    This thought has some logic in it, but I dissent, because the time line doesn't fit. Why should they have delayed the publication of OAK for three years, until 2010

There you have me, I have only been a member for 3 years so did not know when Oakmont came on line, you see one does learn from sensible forums answers

Thank you

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Wed, Jun 14 2017 10:32 AM

I have been here 7 years now and although I appreciate the new stroke play courses that have been added, It doesn't take long for them to feel like your playing the same over and over and get's old. Transforming the best of's helped for awhile, but still the same old holes. Maybe revamp the CTTH's where you or CC pick which holes would help break some of the Monotany, or maybe add a stapleford option or after you have spent X amount to play Cabo or Whistler they become free to play. Still stroke play courses are preferred and Im sure there are many courses that would gladly accept WGT for Marketing them. I live in SC and Hilton Head has around 25 championship courses besides Harbour Town, Myrtle Beach has Hundreds ! its a golf destination for many and any would be better than none. This is my thoughts on it.

Keep posting yours as discussion and it may wake WGT/Top Golf up that the more you give us, the more we are apt to spend and newer people who'll join.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2017 12:27 PM

phred952:

I've wondered if the reason no renewal agreement could be reached with Oakmont was due to the course being made avail for Custom Courses using Course Builders when they were introduced?  I know most people were surprised by that.  A moot point now, of course.

This was a very popular theory when Oakmont was removed and, to me at least, it still makes sense.

We were once made aware that whoever is in charge of Oakmont had forbidden WGT to use any of the holes in Bes of courses.  The fact that is was removed shortly after being made available for custom course building does tend to support this theory.

And if the parting of the ways was known to be coming due to the contract expiring I would have expected WGT to let us know in advance.

That By the way, we no longer have Oakmont post seemed a bit sheepish to say the least.

RSS