Help › Forums

Re: New course suggestion

Wed, Sep 6 2017 6:09 PM (24 replies)
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 1:16 PM

SanteeJack:

Olympia Fields, Torrey Pines, Washington National

Hopefully we get Torry Pines in 2021 when it hosts the US Open.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 1:20 PM

bg444out:
    hi, alanti, why does WGT shy away from the old Tiger Woods courses? had fun playing those back in the day. any feed back ? thanks bg444out (Bill)

I wish I could answer that, but it is just as speculative as anyone's guess. Probably cost, probably contractual....a host of reasons.

WGT have an agreement that allows them to use the US Open course, and previously had a short tenure with the R&A, but the exact extent of the agreement is not known outside of WGT.

I see no reason why other courses cannot be approached and their courses potentially used for this game, however due to the cost of producing a course, any such venture would need to be viable. In the past there were supposedly courses from around the globe that were clambering to be included.........but possibly never occurred due to cost (although presumably the courses could fit the majority of the cost and with drone technology, should significantly reduce costs), contractual limitations, course length....apathy......

WGT tried TruGolf which was supposed to fill a void, but never took off (was a shaky partnership from the start), maybe as they incurred a fee to play, maybe as they just were not as good - and to change to "manufactured" courses requires a change of direction and a new skill set......which could well be a problem based on the bugs that exist and are introduced.....

• Borat74
    2,787 Posts
    Wed, Sep 6 2017 2:52 PM

The Belfry would be nice?

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Sep 6 2017 5:09 PM

Oakmont was the ONLY full course on WGT that featured slight/moderate elevation changes. Seems most everything now is HILLS or FLATLANDS. 

About Oak: During the USO I noted that many changes had been made to the look of the course. I wondered if that might have been a contributing factor to their having pulled the plug, as it no longer much resembled itself from when WGT photographed. 

Anyhoo, anything with some gentle rolling countryside and maybe not a ton of water in play would be nice. No knee deep ball sucking rough. 

Withstanding a couple of fairly severe holes, Torrey would fit this fairly well. It has the plus of being a muni, as well, which, as I understand it usually makes it easier for WGT to get a contract. 

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Wed, Sep 6 2017 6:09 PM

Would be nice have different location pins for the existing courses & also the chance of play Uneven lies in ranked mode, uneven lies change a lot the way of play this game..wich is a lot of potential unused 

RSS