Forums

Help › Forums

Re: A simple guide how to be good at putting

Sat, Nov 7 2020 8:53 AM (49 replies)
  • PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Thu, Mar 9 2017 2:23 PM

Like to see a dot player figure this one out.

Oh and you forgot the diacritic in touché Paul -pfft

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Sun, Mar 12 2017 3:54 PM

PhilEStein:

Like to see a dot player figure this one out.

Oh and you forgot the diacritic in touché Paul -pfft

use a rock ball, i never know where they are going to go

• JCSneed
    54 Posts
    Sat, Mar 18 2017 11:30 PM

• jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2017 7:44 AM

Joshnosh:

This is how i do it i look at my put and say its 10 foot +3 i take 3 from the 10 leaves me with 7 

i put 7 in my calculator, then i look at one of the faster dots and i count how o long it takes to move across 1 grid.  6 seconds = 1 , 9 seconds = 0.75, 12 seconds 0.5 , 18 seconds 0.33.

The grid/dot speed part I get.  But not initial multiplier.  "10 foot +3"  to me means 10 ft, 3 inches uphill, but I am not sure that's what you meant.  Also, how do you count for varying green speeds?  Between club and WGT, I have to adapt from champ14 to very fast10 on regular basis.

• TCorliss
    82 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2017 7:47 AM

tltr

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Tue, Mar 21 2017 7:47 AM

In generel counting seconds on dots moving will make a round take forever.

2 other methods is much easier:

Tekomas putting technique. When you learn how to do it, your aimer is set within 3 seconds. How much power can be seen on a piece of paper. Mapped distances are easy to find.

The other is using an onscreen ruler an the notebook. Use experience on already hitten putts. Place the ruler on the edge of the hole. See how much it turns.

Example from a specific hole: 12 feet speed 10 from 10 oclock aim 1,2 centimeter left 32% power on a 30 feet scale. Boom!

The next time your ball is around the same place you know exatly where to aim.

Playing a lot gives you numorous inputts in your notebook

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Tue, Mar 21 2017 7:22 PM

JCSneed:
    But I have to give 11BC2 credit for actually timing the speed of the dots when using my system. I just guesstimated the speed by watching them: e.g. full speed, 1/2 speed. 1/4 speed, etc...
    Thanks for the shout out.  To clarify though, I never counted the speed of the dots.  Instead I would rapidly hit space bar to continually reset the dot flow and then "eyeball" what I thought the appropriate flow should be.  20% - 150% being average.

Additionally I would either add or subtract to the actual distance of the putt.  I.e.  If you have a 10F putt that is +3 inches uphill I would adjust the aiming point by making the putt 7F adjusted and then * by the flow %.  So 10F flat putt would be 10* 50% flow = 5F aim point.  Plus 3 inches uphill would be 7*50% flow = 3.5F aim point, etc.

All these are based on Stimp 13.  For each adjusted stimp such as 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7 you *roughly* multiply your final aim point by .1 for each drop.  I.e. Stimp 13 final aim point would be 10F.  Stimp 12 would be 10*.1 -1 = 9F.  Stimp 11 10*.2-2= 8F aim point, etc.

For DH putts I made my own formula based in progressively steeper grades.  I.e. 10F putt 3 inches DH I would add around 6F of distance.  So 10F *50% flow = 5F aim point.  10F putt 3 inches DH would be 16*50% = 8F aim point.  As the DH increases so does my own formula.  So a 15F putt 6in DH would be something like 29F * 50% = 14.5F aim point (roughly 1 full grid).

This adjustment in elevation, whether adding or subtracting scales extremely well with slower and faster green speeds too.  Good to see you back in the forum.  Big thanks to your method.  It's what I use the majority of the time.  Double and triple breakers can be more challenging but you can still mess around with the math (just have to do the math 2X for each different break) and find the average.

Cheers.  Sean.

p.s.  Cheers to JoshNosh too!  Haven't seen you in a while.    Then again, I haven't been playing either.  ^_o

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Mar 22 2017 12:57 AM

11BC2:
    Then again, I haven't been playing either.  ^_o

And that is a shame Sean......time for a comeback?........but wait a month or so......as I am about to take a break lol

• VanMeerV
    989 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2020 5:29 AM

I think Young teaches people how to cheat with a calculator and needs to stop spitting in a bottle teaching our kids. NASTEY. I am surprised WGt is letting Young even in tours, what tools is he using when not in video. Rules say no tools in tourmants. 

Vic

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2020 8:53 AM

VanMeerV:

needs to stop spitting in a bottle teaching our kids. NASTEY. 

Are they letting kids play now?

And @Young46, Vic is right. Quit that nasty spitting into a bottle. Be a gentleman and get you a classic spittoon. 

Collectible Badges Solid Brass US Army Insignia Spittoon Cuspidor:  Amazon.sg: Fashion

RSS