Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Escena Golf Course - Palm Springs, CA

Mon, Sep 10 2018 1:42 PM (5 replies)
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2016 5:15 PM

http://escenagolf.com/

A Nicklaus design, this course is a real gem. We were slotted in at 9:30 this morning for $19 including cart and a small ice chest. 

As we walked in from the parking lot (all of about 50 feet) a young man assigned to the entrance loaded our bags onto a cart for us. He directed us to the clubhouse where the employees were very friendly and helpful. This place even does the little things like providing towels for each player, too.

Included in the green fees are both a practice tee area (hitting into a net) for warming up and a practice green for chipping practice, both stocked with a generous supply of balls. The starter asked a few questions about the state of each player's game, then suggested the proper color tees to use in order to get the most enjoyment out of the course and still maintain a good pace of play. Very helpful. Even being a Saturday and a popular course we played 18 holes in about 3 1/2 hours.

The course itself is quite long and fair, with a large dose of risk/reward shots that make it very interesting. Fairways are wide with a large number of fairway bunkers, some waste areas and some beautiful water designs, making the course very scenic and challenging. Bunkers are excellent with a lot of deep, soft pure sand. The course is in great shape (the greens were aerated three weeks ago). The greens were fairly soft, held incoming shots and rolled true.

Plenty of water is provided around the course. The restrooms around the course and locker rooms are spotless. 

The restaurant/bar is a destination in itself, a very nice place to go for an excellent meal or drink even if you're not playing golf.

There is good reason this course is ranked #6 among California's public courses as ranked by PGATour.com.  This course is a "must play" if you are in the Palm Springs area and at $19 during the summer months it must be one of the best bargains in the state, too.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2016 5:49 AM

I'm used to inexpensive green fees but that's a great bargain for such a beautiful course.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2016 8:39 AM

You're right, PaulTon. Even the pictures don't do it justice.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 6:53 AM

I logged in to GolfNow and checked Escena last night. There was one hot deal tee time of an even lower $17,  this coming Saturday at 11:32 a.m.  Booked it as soon as I saw it.. Cashed in a GolfNow $10 rewards and dropped the price to only $12 each for the two of us!

Temperature is expected to be under 100* this time.

SCORE!

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2018 11:33 AM

We had out of state visitors I wanted to impress so I took them out to Escena the day before yesterday. I bit the bullet at $39 each this time but it was well worth it. Even the employees are saying the course is in better shape than it's been in June since they opened the course. I agree. This place is incredibly green and lush right now.

Being a weekday the course was fairly well deserted. The two wives are new to the game so we were slow but we weren't pushed or pressured at all. We still only had a couple of singles and a foursome of guys play through.

Funny story. The ladies bought some bagels and cream cheese, sausages and bacon at the clubhouse restaurant to bring out on the course with us. They didn't secure it. As we looked on from the third green the cart was overrun by squirrels, rabbits, roadrunners and a host of other wildlife. They cleaned out every bit of food that was there, even carting off the styrofoam containers and the sealed plastic containers of cream cheese. Expensive way to feed the wildlife.

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2018 1:42 PM

come play Monterey C.C   :0  ....  

RSS