Re: Oak & the Us open... boring

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 21 2016 3:24 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 12:46 PM

LOLserver:
    it was the feeling of seeing the same hole over & over.

I get it now. Heh, I kept looking in the lower right corner for the overhead view, myself.  ;-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 12:58 PM

YankeeJim:

andyson:
    Eric is talking about aesthetics guys!

Your interpretation.

Actually a pretty obvious interpretation knowing LOLserver is into CGI 3D rendering and has posted his work on Augusta #12 and TPC Sawgrass #17, both very pleasant to view.

I'll put Oakmont right up there with SA and RSG in terms of boring to view layouts.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 1:05 PM

Never had the pleasure of seeing Oak first hand.  I will say standing at ground level of RSG / St As is a lovely experience.  I like all the courses though in all honesty.  I appreciate them all for all their differences and unique beauty.  Maybe here does not always capture that same as TV struggles, but like them here too..........

Each to their own views:)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 1:09 PM

Aesthetically Oakmont may not be the most picturesque course in the world, but golf is not only about aesthetics.

I have played many courses around the world, one iconic hole does not make it a great course. Courses like St Andrews may not exactly be eye candy, but still sends a shiver down my spin just thinking of walking up to the first tee.

My local course has a ton of water, but the fact is, most holes the water does not come into play unless you hit a rank shot....but always in view.

I have never said in my years of playing golf - that hole was boring. Each hole is unique and a challenge - it does not have to dressed up.

For a golf purist like myself, I found this tournament far from boring, and was great seeing an insight into how the pros played it.

I apologize that none of the pro's could shoot as low as the top WGT players, perhaps they need to upgrade their equipment so when they drive they could barely miss a fairway.

Only 4 players under par for a tournament - yes it is course management, patience that wins the day. Sometimes watching a birdie shootout for me becomes boring - this was a real test for the best in the game.

Oakmont was the winner.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 3:24 PM

• PAGES
RSS