Forums

Help › Forums

Re: July Bethpage 18-hole Open

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 14 2009 1:59 PM (6 replies)
  • gtechbob
    25 Posts
    Thu, Jul 2 2009 3:55 PM

Just payed $10 to get screwed by Kiawah greens.  Had 7 3 putts....all misses from 3 ft or under.  Putting is the best part of my worthless game. I was bored with the Kiawah closest-to-pin play, so I figured.....what-the-hay....let's see what the course played like.  OUCH !   I hit way more fairways & greens then Bethpage allowed but the greens were on the ridiculous side.  Especially with the hiccups you get on the putt bar.  Well I learned a valuable lesson.  I played the REAL Kiawah course 4 years ago and had a WAY more enjoyable time on the greens, then did WGT portray.  Oh well....that's why I am venting, since you don't get a chance to practice putting on the Goony Golf greens they had.  Sure looks like some "sandbagging" is occurring in some of the scores I see.  I have played with 3 "Masters" and all 3 left play on the 9th hole in order to prevent "posting" a bad score.  That's pretty sad to see golfers that are supposed to self penalize the game, getting wound up over pretend scores.  I still shake my head when I see real sandbaggers with 15 handicaps shooting 72s in tourneys & claiming "career best" shooting.  I'm joyful when my 22 handicap breaks 90, on a good day.  Take it easy and look for my handle, if you want a fair and fast paced game. 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jul 2 2009 3:59 PM

Tough round man, but if you're lookin to make some of that money back you should check out the $5 July 18-Holer on Bethpage.  It's unlimited play so you can submit scores as often as possible and only your best one counts.  The payouts are pretty nice ($300 in credits split between the top 70 finishers for the Pro Tier) and it's a good way to get your practice on.

Also, you can practice and play ranked rounds on Kiawah to get more familiar with the greens.  They're definitely a lot trickier than Bethpage's are.

Keep at it & good luck! :D

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2009 1:13 AM

Hi,

I see you are having trouble with your putting !!  Havent we all :-)

If you're interested I have a putting guide on my blog - am sure it will help you shave shots off your round.

www.wgtgolfguide.com/category/tips/putting/

Have a look and let me know how you go. You should be able to cut out all those 3 putt greens without to much trouble - but you're gonna have to practice some.

Cheers Doug

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2009 2:30 AM

Talking about putting... does anybody know why the swing meter problems get worse with the putter? Does this happen to everybody or only to a few of us? Is there a way to stop it?

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2009 5:11 AM

Seve, I have the same problem. Sometimes with the putter meter, it'll go a 1/2 inch by the mark or more. I missed a putt from 1.9 tuesday. The meter went all the way over to the end of the bar! LOL

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Sun, Jul 5 2009 10:55 AM

Think I'll wait a little longer to see the top 70 scores on the July 18hole Bethpage before I pay to enter it.  I do better just playing 9 holes on that one.  I actually got 4 birdies the other day on the front 9 only to screw it all up & double bogey the 9th?!  Thought that was going to be my best BP score ever.....

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Tue, Jul 14 2009 1:59 PM

Alright thought I would join in on this one. Haven't had much trouble with hole15 lately..especially when I played the back nine.  Was at -3 on 15 today & lost it all on that hole.  Think the crosswinds are killing my ability to execute it properly!  I want those top credits.  I'll keep at this one & maybe sneak up on you when you least expect it........ =)

RSS