Help › Forums

Re: Golf Club

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 28 2014 2:12 PM (8 replies)
  • AaronKershaw
    1 Posts
    Wed, Dec 24 2014 4:19 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Can anyone suggest me in this New Year whose best Scottsdale Golf Club & country club?

Where to enjoy the best holiday with our family.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Dec 27 2014 7:07 AM

Try the Biltmore

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Dec 27 2014 8:28 AM

SweetiePie:

Try the Biltmore

You can't go wrong with SweetiePie's recommendation.  The Arizona Biltmore is a classic.  Stunning Frank Lloyd Wright architecture.  Its in North Central Phoenix not far, maybe 10 minutes, from the airport.  As it is just 5 miles from where I live I've played both golf courses at the resort many times.  The Links, IMO, is a more interesting course than the Adobe.  Both are fine resort courses.

Here's a link to 5 other great choices, some out in the desert, some in town.  More challenging golf at the Boulders and Troon North resorts.

Best golf resorts in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Dec 28 2014 9:13 AM

andyson:
    Troon North

Troon is on my "I want list". I have heard nothing but raves about Weiskopf's gem. Breath-taking beauty views and tough as nails....have you played it Andy ?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Dec 28 2014 10:38 AM

SweetiePie:

andyson:
    Troon North

Troon is on my "I want list". I have heard nothing but raves about Weiskopf's gem. Breath-taking beauty views and tough as nails....have you played it Andy ?

Yes, a long time ago.  Early 90s.  Fortunate to get an invite from a member who's company we dealt with.  I do well remember meeting Weiskopf on the 1st green.  He waved us on as he was playing sand shots from a greenside bunker, checking the sand conditions for the US Mid-Amateur to be held the following week.  We chatted for about 5 minutes as we had a mutual friend who had served with him in the same unit of the Ohio National Guard.

I do also remember the greens being as fast and firm as any I've ever played.  We didn't play the tips and being about a 15 hcp back then I would have been lucky to break 100.  Since then I've played Troon North Monument course several times and I actually would recommend that over Troon.  (although one can't beat the ambiance of a private course over a public)  Pretty much any of the courses up in the N. Scottsdale hills give great vistas of the valley and surrounding mountains.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Dec 28 2014 12:27 PM

andyson:
    (although one can't beat the ambiance of a private course over a public)

I think the 'ambience' of public St. Andrews would beat that of many a private course.

Never had you pegged as a snob Andy.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Dec 28 2014 1:50 PM

WTF Paul? pfft.... It was a weekday and we had the course pretty much to ourselves that day.  I played 99% of my rounds on public courses with crowded ranges, practice greens, and delays on the par 3s.  Then there's the 5hr+ rounds.  It was very nice for a change. 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Dec 28 2014 2:05 PM

Cool, I see what you were meaning now, it wasn't apparent from your original post, sorry bud.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Dec 28 2014 2:12 PM

No worries.

RSS