Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Is a high number for meter speed slow or fast?

Mon, Feb 5 2024 11:55 PM (47 replies)
  • SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2023 3:18 PM

pdb1:

The theory is for instance , that if you have club speeds of say 3.5 on your clubs ( irons ) say . Because you use your irons a lot .

Then your ball speed should be closer to 3.5 .

Not 2.5 or 5.0 .

It supposedly syncs them better . Smoother . It really seems to work .

For any new players reading this, the above "theory" is complete and utter nonsense.  The game does no "syncing" between your clubs and your balls based on matching meter speeds.

Use whatever clubs and balls you feel most comfortable with.  If you have set of irons with 4.4 meter speed and a ball with 2.5 or 3.0 meter speed, and that combination feels good to you, stick with it.  

Hope this helps.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2023 2:07 AM

SamSpayed:
    Hope this helps.
    :-)

I think the theory this is being confused with is, in the past it was thought good to balance the speed of your clubs and having much the same meter across shots. I think that was probably true back when there was an element of risk and reward, longest driver/faster meter etc.  Now the best clubs have the best attributes in all areas, and the best balls slow things further, meaning that sort of detail isn't necessary. 

Just another advantage of the game being much more pay to win, or should that be paying much more to win? ;-)

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Feb 17 2023 1:03 AM

pdb1:
    Try and match your equipment meter speeds with your ball speeds . At least to some degree
    I second that, and I may have stated it in the first place.

It's less about performance - good results go a long way justifying any choice.
    It's rather about economics and efficiency.

My thought is that the lesser part of a club / ball pairing will diminish the characteristics of the expensive better part and take away the benefits acquired. Thus, rather than a 5 / 2 pairing, choose a 3 / 3 pairing at (potentially) lower costs.

It aims mostly at those players who spend a fortune on top balls while using mediocre clubs. They have better options IMHO.

• GreenLaser
    176 Posts
    Fri, Feb 17 2023 2:56 AM

I'm lazy. I'm using cheap balls and choose ones that make the mental math easier for me.  I'm doing okay hitting full backspin with my 3.5 spin irons with WGT Tour-SD or WGT B-XD balls. That approach probably won't get me much farther than I am now, but I'm not sure which of the better balls will let me keep my lazy math strategy.  I'm not too far from L97 irons which have 4.5 spin, and I'm sure that'll be a change.

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Fri, Feb 17 2023 10:25 AM

alosso:

good results go a long way justifying any choice.

Well said.  

I'd also like to point out that none of the top WGT players follow the bogus match-your-ball-speed-to-your-club-speed "theory".  They choose their ball based on what feels best for them, and (sometimes) the course and conditions they expect to face.

GreenLaser:
    I'm doing okay hitting full backspin with my 3.5 spin irons with WGT Tour-SD or WGT B-XD balls. That approach probably won't get me much farther than I am now, but I'm not sure which of the better balls will let me keep my lazy math strategy.

I'm sending you a sleeve of the L33 Callaways.  Great stats for the price (only 250 cr / sleeve).  Try them and see what you think 🍺

• GreenLaser
    176 Posts
    Fri, Feb 17 2023 7:04 PM

Thanks. Those were on my list of balls to try.  I'll give them a shot when I run out of Tour-SD.

RSS