Fri, Jan 5 2024 5:14 AM (9 replies)
  • hbthree
    478 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 7:06 AM

I am new to the WGT and wonder what the %LIE tells the player?   thanks

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 7:59 AM

This is the percentage of the ball buried, and therefore will effect drag on the club facce and the ball leaving its spot, reducing its trajectory and distance.

1.  20-25%  = 1/2 extra club. 

2.  30-40% = 1 Full club. 

3.  40-50% lies = 2 or 3 clubs. 

4.  50-70% requires a punch shot, regardless of where you are.

There are two distinct issues you need to remember.

a) The club.  Some of the Pro Shop wedges are better in rough then others.

b) The shot type.  Some shots went have the same effect (like chips/pitches/Flops)

You have to practice practice practice the shot type and the club.

As a basic rule of thumb for all begininerrs the ONLY club you should use at less then 40% power is the putter.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 3:30 PM

thanks very helpful

• MikiMahand
    7 Posts
    Fri, Oct 25 2013 6:25 PM

Nice.

• juggss6
    121 Posts
    Fri, Oct 25 2013 7:55 PM

Holy thread necro batman.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Fri, Oct 25 2013 8:09 PM

WaterTrap:

This is the percentage of the ball buried, and therefore will effect drag on the club facce and the ball leaving its spot, reducing its trajectory and distance.

1.  20-25%  = 1/2 extra club. 

2.  30-40% = 1 Full club. 

3.  40-50% lies = 2 or 3 clubs. 

4.  50-70% requires a punch shot, regardless of where you are.

There are two distinct issues you need to remember.

a) The club.  Some of the Pro Shop wedges are better in rough then others.

b) The shot type.  Some shots went have the same effect (like chips/pitches/Flops)

You have to practice practice practice the shot type and the club.

As a basic rule of thumb for all begininerrs the ONLY club you should use at less then 40% power is the putter.

This post is over 3 years old, the poster is still a Master, and hasn't played for over a year. This information MAY have been correct at the time of posting but I assure you it is no longer correct.

The percentage lie ONLY tells you how deep the ball is buried, you CANNOT trust that to determine what club to use or even how much more power to give, this is because that will vary enormously depending on the TYPE of rough. a 30/40 lie in 'normal' rough plays a whole heap different than a 30/40 lie in fescue or weeds.

Sorry, but the only for sure way to learn this is when you get into rough, write down the conditions, (type of rough, lie, wind etc) and the result, and keep trying different things eventually you will build up a picture of what to use. However, in general around the fairway in 'green' rough a punch will get you out, around the green a flop works, but often regardless of around the green or the fairway in sand a full shot is better.

• Stevedepoe
    1 Posts
    Mon, Sep 18 2023 2:46 AM

Good info:

But if I'm at a 30-40% lie and 150 yds. I would normally use let's say a 7 iron. Now I'm at my 30-40% lie I dial it up to a 6 iron.  What power would use dial in. If I dial in 150 yds on the 6 iron that doesn't get me the distance I need. 

• mega1byte
    750 Posts
    Mon, Sep 18 2023 3:31 PM

Hi Steve:

If I'm shooting 150 yards and in 30 - 40% rough, I shoot a 6 iron full.

I always add 15 yards for a 30 -40% rough.

This of course doesn't take in to account your elevation, which may or may not come onto play depending on the course and hole.

And not taking into account what your wind speed is and its direction.

Now sand is completely different ,, lol unless your playing Kawaii (hard sand), at 30 - 40% sand you will get about 80 yards using a pitching wedge. Any bigger club and you be in trouble lol

Mega

• vonnegutshot
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2024 12:42 PM

Variations in power and distance from a certain lie are affected by so many variables. Eind speed, wind direction, type of lie material, also ball statistics, club statistics, and apparel statistics. A slow meter ball with minimal spin and distance numbers hit with a high trajectory iron out of 30% rough into a heavy 25mph headwind is going to utilize a completely different amount of power than a high spin medium distance ball hit with a med/high trajectory iron into the exact same 25mph headwind from the exact same 30% lie. Then you have to factor in your apparel... are you wearing shoes that add yardage to brush or sand shots? And so on...

• stevediaz0
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2024 5:14 AM

good info

RSS