Help › Forums

Re: Newbie who needs tips on how to score better

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 7 2009 12:09 PM (2 replies)
  • MrTheKid
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 8:27 AM

Hey all,

I just started playing about two weeks ago almost exclusively at Bethpage.  I believe I am still learning the nuances of the game, but I have hit a bit of a roadblock.  I can't seem to score below 75 (I am currently at the "Pro" tier).  Below is an outline of what I experience.  Please tell me if this is "normal."

I can't ever reach the fairway with a driver on holes 5, 10, and 12.

I can't ever reach the green in regulation on holes 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 15, or 16.

Is it my equipment or merely my underdeveloped skills?  Not being able to hit the above greens in regulation (and, for the most part, I am not even close-many holes I have 125 to 175 yards left for my THIRD shot on a par 4) puts incredible pressure on being able to knock shots close and/or drain putts to shoot a really low score.

Given the above, how on God's green earth does Tibbets shoot a 62 at Bethpage?!?!

Any help would be appreciated, and I am sorry if the above questions have been asked before.

--The Kid

BTW--I love the game (and am a bit addicted to it), and it makes it even more interesting for me becauseI have been very fortunate to have played the actual Bethpage Black about a dozen times (well before it was a U. S. Open venue).

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 10:53 AM

Yes, it's normal that you can reach a few fairways and a few greens.

As for how Tibbets does it, well, he just gets his third shots a yard away from the hole and putts it in for par. Easy:)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 12:09 PM

.... and, if you've seen his 62 card... holes birdies from 140 yrds...  lol

18 putts in 18 holes.  THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is the secret to the lowest scores.

RSS