Help › Forums

Re: Scott's tips.

Fri, Apr 12 2024 12:26 PM (748 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, May 27 2023 12:27 AM

PureGro1:
    Screenshot-2023-05-26-171203

Oh, I wasn't expecting that PG. You have to use your number keypad, not the numbers above the qwerty keys.

The only reason for these shortcuts is to easily access characters that are not on your keyboard. If you bring up your character map (Windows key + r, then type in charmap and hit enter)...

...you will see that some of the characters you select will have an ALT + **** shortcut in the bottom right corner. It's handy if you use a character regularly that isn't on your keyboard and you can memorize the four digit shortcut, or three digits as they all start with zero.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, May 27 2023 7:32 AM

You've got it working now Paul? I think it should work wherever you type.

It does feel a little odd because nothing appears on screen until you release the ALT key at the very end of the sequence.

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2023 6:13 AM

ScottHope:
    Oh, I wasn't expecting that PG. You have to use your number keypad, not the numbers above the qwerty keys.

Very cool. I had used the Charmap in word and somewhere else but had no idea I could bring it up and use it for other things as well! Ty for sharing this, always learn something new (And useful) in this thread...

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2023 7:31 AM

Thanks PG.

If you are on Windows 10 or 11 you can also use the Windows key + ; to bring up a window from where you can paste emojis, things from your clipboard and stuff from the character map. It's faster than copy pasting from the character map as you only need to click the item you want to paste.

Clicking each of the icons along the top gives you access to different things.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Jun 6 2023 5:11 AM

👌🐱‍🏍😊

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Tue, Jun 6 2023 5:19 AM

👍

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 9:29 PM

These are two of my favourites...

Alt + 0163  =  £

Alt + 0186  =  º

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 1:37 AM

Cheers John, I wonder what symbol is above the 3 on your keyboard?

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Fri, Jul 14 2023 1:56 AM

๒ in Thai

or £ on an English ( United Kingdom ) keyboard

or # on an English ( United States ) US keyboard.

I like the @ above the 2 and the hash # above the 3

I can be as obtuse as the next guy.

You know my query about the purple dot , well someone in my  CC suggested I try on a PC, so I did the opposite and tried on my phone, which I use only for the free credits, and lo and behold there was no purple dot.

I have played WGT for 12 years on a PC.

So a minor irritation done with.

RSS