Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Scott's tips.

Fri, Apr 12 2024 12:26 PM (748 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2022 2:40 AM

Scott, the utmost important info is missing in the lettre. Where's the licence key?? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I've still got MS Office 2007 and it's amply enough for me. All I ever use is the 3 combos (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) anyways so...

GBP 22.50 is what... approx. CAD 35 these days? Not a bad deal at all! As you said though, the question is how long it will last. BTW pound lost lots, I mean LOTS of value, eh! I remember we used to double GBP to estimate CAD when I was younger.

↓↓ EDIT : LOL Nah, I won't be holding my breath for that. Anyway, 667 dollars! OUCH!! ↓↓

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2022 3:00 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Scott, the utmost important info is missing in the lettre. Where's the licence key?? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Lol.

Keep watching Simon, I will screw up at some point.

Microsoft sell it for £420! (667 CAD)

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2022 5:51 PM

ScottHope:

Well, this is what I got from Amazon for my £22.50 (right).
    A letter with a licence key and some instructions on what to do with it. I logged in to my Microsoft account and typed the licence key into microsoft.com/redeem and then went to microsoft.com/services, again inside my MS account, and on that page, under 'products you've purchased', was a download link for Office Professional Plus 2021.
    Once downloaded and installed, everything seems to be working fine. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Access and Teams. Eight applications in all, suite (sic). This is NOT ms office on the web like some Amazon reviews have stated, I can only assume they have not followed the installation directions correctly. These are installed on my machine and I can use them without an internet connection. The only remaining question is how long will they continue to work, a week, a month, a year, forever? Who knows, only time will tell.
    If you purchase this product
    you do so entirely at your own risk

Scott, If you read on these things you'll see they are mostly scams and hit or miss.  You actual lucked out in that the key they sent to you actually worked.  I'm curious as to how long it will.  I'm happy you didn't initially get scammed like most.  

I recently purchased Office 365 directly from MicroSoft at $99/year.  I know it's a recurring expense but it's good for up to 5 users vs only 1 user if you purchase the entire enchilada from the getgo.  It's on the business side of things so we're good as it's a very minimal expense compared to other licenses we pay for. 

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2022 11:44 PM

Like you Paul, I can't help but feel that this is somewhat shady, but it's still working fine. Although if I was lucky in getting a working key, why are there so many positive reviews on Amazon? Surely if it was a bad deal there would be more negativity.

If I had anything like a decent income then I might have stumped up for Office 365, but I'm not sure my use of office would warrant that.

P.S. I like the dynamic array formulas in my new excel. πŸ€“

• billsmini10
    160 Posts
    Sun, May 22 2022 10:09 AM

I really like older software better, they (the writers of software) keep adding too much stuff I will never use, plus it gets more complicated. I just wonder if MS Office 97 would still work in Win 10? I have the CD-ROM with license key for my own use. I know it is 32 bit, but some of my other 32 bit programs work as well.

billsmini10

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Sun, May 22 2022 11:03 AM

I've just Googled Office 97 and Win 10 and the results say "Yes". I'm sure you can put 32 bit applications on a 64 bit machine, but not the other way about.

WGT Golf is a 32 bit app, isn't it?

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2022 5:27 PM

ScottHope:

I've just Googled Office 97 and Win 10 and the results say "Yes". I'm sure you can put 32 bit applications on a 64 bit machine, but not the other way about.

WGT Golf is a 32 bit app, isn't it?

Now the problem is...

Would Office 97 properly open or handle files with the new extension names like docx, pptx, xlsx?

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2022 12:27 AM

Honestly Simon, I don't know, but I'd be very surprised if Office 97 wouldn't open them at all. May open them with reduced functionality or look different in some way.

P.S. My new Office 2021 is still working fine.  : )

⇩ EDIT : Cheers gents.  ; ) ⇩

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2022 9:17 AM

ScottHope:

That was and is a great bargain then! 🀩🀩🀩 Awesome!

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2022 4:49 PM
    ScottHope:

Honestly Simon, I don't know, but I'd be very surprised if Office 97 wouldn't open them at all. May open them with reduced functionality or look different in some way.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
RSS