Re: Tier progression

Mon, Jan 9 2023 3:50 PM (175 replies)
  • AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2021 2:21 PM

Mythanatos:

AnaNikolaj:

wbrooh1946:

I play "Legends" with an Av score of 150...??? HOW ?

It means they only played and won a lot of coin games and reached a certain level and got tiered up without playing any stroke play ranked rounds. But tiering up that way ends in legend tiet... 

you are  wrong. 

That's my once a year out of the way then... ;-) 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2021 4:13 PM

wbrooh1946:

Hello Alosso,

I have the same replies about moving up tiers.

The telling reply you got is "some unknown algorithm MAY take you to Tour Master.

Unlike playing the real game, to work our socks off to lower the handicap, it does not appear to be like that on a miserable WGT format.

No-one explains in honest terms as to how improve our standind !!!

I play "Legends" with an Av score of 150...??? HOW ?

Good luck for your advancement.....let me know if it happens...and how?

Ian Ferguson.

I think you're saying you want to get to TM, there are are a couple of simple things I can tell you but only from the easily predictable ranked rounds side of it, I don't want big myth' after me too.

You are saturated with an average of 64.38 and that's worked out on your 40 best rounds.  So in these 40 rounds there are 2,575 strokes and you need to get rid of 55 of them to get to an average of 63.

The last two rounds you played were 18's at St A's; if you want to drop your average then play this sort of thing as two 9's.  Say you shoot 64; as an 18 that's what it will count as to your average but if the two 9's were 31 and 33 then played that way it would count as a 62 (the 66 would be discarded if you didn't have a higher score included in your average).  Playing 18 holes can never drop your average more than playing it as two nines.

• jacktrade51
    10,831 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2021 8:08 PM

Stop worrying about everyone else's tier.  One is a regular game player or a coin game one.

Worry about your own progression however you choose to play the game.

Tom.

• jacktrade51
    10,831 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2021 8:09 PM

Stop worrying about everyone else's tier.  One is a regular game player or a coin game one.

Worry about your own progression however you choose to play the game.

I might note I have learned long ago that on the regular game, average can be very misleading.  One has to dive into their record and figure out what they are playing.

Tom.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2021 2:45 PM

jacktrade51:

I know you said it twice but still, are you talking to anyone in particular or the world in general? :-/

• Randy6813
    18 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2021 6:26 PM

what I want two know is . I'm at Master I don't really want two advance because it cost more money for clubs etc two compete, maybe not so much as tour master but it will if I get any higher then that. I have noticed that there is players that have played no ranked games and are at avg 150 and are moved to master legends etc , how is this possible just by going by the tier table that wgt puts out.  lets say you have a 70 avg and never play a ranked game and you are at say master , How come you cant stay there or if even lower stay there ? just asking , I understand the sand bagger example your trying two get away from but how does this tier really work ? 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2021 10:18 PM

Randy6813:
    I have noticed that there is players that have played no ranked games and are at avg 150 and are moved to master legends etc , how is this possible just by going by the tier table that wgt puts out. 
    First, WGT never put any table of these informations out - that's us, the players!

Avg. 150 shows that the player has never(!) played a ranked round - their tier is determined by their level plus achievements in "mobile" games, H2H, coin rooms. Their actions are outside said tables.

Randy6813:
    lets say you have a 70 avg and never play a ranked game and you are at say master ,
    Quite impossible, because the 70 avg would certainly include ranked rounds.

Randy6813:
    How come you cant stay there or if even lower stay there ?
    There's no way to step down in tiers - it just doesn't exist. You can stay there quite long if you play poorly and avoid mobile games, but the company may find a way to promote you, as they want to see you spending your credits!

OTOH, it's fun to contend in the game, e.g. to break Par in Oakmont or Pebble - maybe worth some investment of yours?

• Trtr30
    32 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2021 7:45 AM

jacktrade51:

They need not be mutually exclusive. I play several tournaments a month, play a lot of ranked rounds on various courses, and play coin games. I play for credits and the challenge with the first, play to improve my average and better learn the courses with the second, and meet others and test my skills against others with the third.

• TheBrick1
    11 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2022 7:03 PM

phred952:

TheBrick1:

It's about the money.

When I play, I mostly play practice rounds.  I set the conditions of a tournament I am interested in, invite people if I can, and play.  Practice.  Then I compete in the tournament and place to earn credits.

Is this sandbagging?  It's my first, last, and only account. 

My average stays higher than most others in my tier because the only ranked games I play are tournaments or invites from friends. I never sabotage my score intentionally.  Am I sandbagging?

I look at the leaderboards, see the scores it takes win, and practice until I feel capable of attaining a similar score, then I enter the tournament. 

If I played ranked games while practicing, my average would go down faster, I'd tier up faster, hence I would need better equipment more often to continue being competitive in tournaments.  It's the money.

This strategy works until you start winning.  As so s you start earning credits through winnings in tournaments they arbitrarily bump you up.   Today, I had and average of 69.08.  The lowest it has ever been.  Shot a 34 on the Wk 11 Multiround 1st round.  My avg moved to 68.92.  Then later I received 45 credits for a winning (a week or so ago) + 150 credits for being promoted to master.  I never met any Master requirements that I am aware of.

I was successfully countering those with multiple accounts and other "sandbaggers" with honest play and diligent practice.

I really think the answer is to look at the other side of the equation.  There are players out there who are Legends from playing nothing but the easiest courses most of the time.  Maybe we ought inject a little more "realism" and clarity and make whatever milestone that I happened to reach a requirement as well as the 66 average requirement, which I have never come close to getting yet.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sorry, if not sandbagging in the usual sense, you are manipulating your play to avoid ranked rounds, which sounds like the same thing to me.  

You are playing far more rounds as "practice"  to avoid raising your average, by your own admission, than probably most other players.

So your level of experience is higher just by playing those "practice" rounds, than your average reflects.  Sound fair to you?

Just wondering, not trying to start anything.  I'm just pointing things out as I see them, based on your statements.  If I'm wrong in my thinking, or understanding of the situation,  then please accept my apology..

GL as a Master, if that's where you are now.

phred952 

I'm wasn't manipulating my play.  I was practicing in practice rounds.  I was trying more aggressive shots in a practice round to see what works and what doesn't as opposed to a more conservative play during a ranked round that is supposed to count.  I wasn't avoiding raising my average.  That I was playing primarily in practice rounds may have had some effect keeping my average higher than others in my tier for longer.  

It matters not, anyway.  Because the same thing happened at TM, even though I stopped playing using practice rounds except to explore specific situations not full rounds, and I took a few years off.  I came back and this time played nothing but Tournaments, Multi-Stroke, and Coin.

After about 6 weeks of relearning the game, I started playing all the Free Tournaments.  1st week  i placed in a couple made 80-90 Credits.  The following week, did a little better about 200 Credits and I was bumped to  Legend.

Personally, I think it is fraud.  Sandbagging really isn't a problem and could only work for so long, anyway.  You have to post good scores to win.  That's going to push your Tier up eventually, even without fraudulent rigging.  Instead, they push you up until you no longer have the equipment to be competitive, nor do they allow you the chance to earn enough to afford the equipment necessary.  Buy their balls.

Does it sound fair to me?  Not at all.  My level of experience has nothing to do with it.  The scores that one posts on match day is what matters.  My average will reflect those scores.  So why push me up ahead of time.  Why not have only tournament rounds count toward your official tournament average and only use tournament generated scores to determine your tournament tier?  That would handle the sandbagging problem if one actually exists.

TheBrick1

RSS