Forums

Help › Forums

Re: ATV 50 yards.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 6 2014 11:20 AM (8 replies)
  • SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 11:19 AM

I could stop the ball with the Ping 50 yards from  10-15% sand, Why the ALL TERRAIN crap cannot? Just used full bs and the ball ALWAYS rolls over 7 yards, even 10... It works from rough, fairway, fringe, etc, but it's bs from sand, has anyone figured out a shot that works at least 50%?

• mukbrain
    225 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 3:33 PM

Sand's lie is usually more than the others (except for 2nd cut rough), and usually more than stated I've seen, when trying to get out of such. 30-40 is usally like 40-50, 40-50 is like 50-60, etc. The more lie the ball is in, the less it will be able to spin usually, regardless of club and ball.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Thu, Jun 5 2014 7:51 PM

Ok, still same question. Any shot that works from bunkers? I cant believe that from 15% using full bs the ball can roll 10 yards.... just did it at Bethpage.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Jun 5 2014 8:45 PM

I have the ATV but I'm still only using it once and a while.

I remember a guy called 'davester' who showed a way to use the Clevelands (which I have also) and from the rough it was always full BS and add power. But from the sand he showed an image that indicated to put the spin dot down to the level of the sand, but not full BS under the sand because this 'affects the shot and creates inconsistencies, esp. the aim' or something.

So, sometimes when I hit from the bunker I'll put the spin dot down right on the level of the sand, maybe just a little down into it, but usually never full BS.

I am still testing out the success of this technique to this day. 

---

edit: this thread shows a mapping w/ pitch, chip and flop

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/109354.aspx?PageIndex=1

results will vary

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Jun 5 2014 9:17 PM
    It's my favourite club. It's just a case of getting used to the way it works and with what type of shot.
  • ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 11:04 AM

Be very precise where you put the back spin adjustment and what ball are you using?

For sand shots with the 64° ATV I usually zoom in on the ball twice to set the back spin..

• davefuller1
    1,498 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 11:20 AM

I have the same ATV 50 yarder. On a fairly flat greens in 15% sand try flopping. Example- 16 yards to pin. I use full backspin (into the sand) and aim left a few yards. Flop the 16 and it rolls right to the pin. In 30 sand use a full shot with the same club, spin it (ball touching sand not in it), and hit 35-40 and you should be fine. Runaway greens are still a guess work and luck, lol,,,Dave

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 11:38 AM

ApexPC:

Be very precise where you put the back spin adjustment and what ball are you using?

For sand shots with the 64° ATV I usually zoom in on the ball twice to set the back spin..

Even with full BS the ATV will not stop like a 64 degree wedge should.  It doesn't even stop as well as the Z-Satin that it replaced. And at over 4 times the cost it should!

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 12:23 PM

borntobesting:

ApexPC:

Even with full BS the ATV will not stop like a 64 degree wedge should.  It doesn't even stop as well as the Z-Satin that it replaced. And at over 4 times the cost it should!

That's my complain. I had the 50 yds Satin for over two years. Very few cases it didn't work. Even from sand. 15% at Bethpage, I would put the green dot at the bottom and add around 10 extra yards. Ball will roll  a couple of yards and stop... the ATV that replaced it... have tried everything and it seems that I am putting full topspin on the ball and hitting it downhill. AT stands for all terrain, but it doesn't seem to include bunkers. Fairway and rough is ok, though. I don't mean 40-50% sand, I mean 15%. 

I bought the Satin for less than 3 dollars and the ATV for nearly 12 so I would expect it to have more spin than starters. Also, at that time I was using Callaways that had less spin than the Nikes. I could leave almost every shot within two yards with the Pings but the ATVs looks like an unstoppable diarrhea, and very expensive. Plus the trajectory of the ATVs is High vs Med-High the Ping. I would expect it to bite more for a ball that has 85% of its body above the ground. Did they forget any parameter when setting the specs of this club? It works well from even 60% rough lies if you know what to add and use.

That same club can roll the ball back, sometimes without any spin or even a tad of topspin from fairway. 

RSS