Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What Controls Meter Speed?

Tue, Feb 9 2021 5:17 AM (49 replies)
  • free2402
    31 Posts
    Fri, Jul 26 2019 6:51 PM

When I first stated with WGT, I went through all the usual metre problems. As my ranking improved the metre seemed to 'remain calm' and playable, regardless of the ball. I got sick of buying balls, so just went with the range balls. Everything seemed fine. I started to think that if I chose the wrong club or shot selection the metre suddenly punished me for the error. So my game improved and I was consistantly shooting sub par rounds with range balls and no metre problems.

Now we have a new owner and the metre has gone crazy. This new owner and its back-room boys has added 8 shots to my game now. The metre is constantly on steroids and the game has become really frustrating. 

I wonder if the IT guys set the metre to suit the bottom line and try to promote players into a game that isn't really 'free', because if you want to enjoy then you have to buy balls to do so.

Anyone agree with this logic or is it just me being paranoid about a new owner and their desire to monetarise the game and profit from a new aquistion? 

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 5:37 PM

I don't think the ownership of WGT has changed anytime recently.  I also have heard that WGT is not a major source of income for Topgolf, so while they all want to make money, this is not how they do it.  They do that with their worldwide centers, I believe.

I have not noticed any real change in meter speed - there are some times when my CPU is loaded, so I stop other tasks, but that is rare for me.

I will note that playing with the free balls and lower level irons and putter introduces a lot more uncertainty in the results of any given shot, but not through the meter - that is just how the game is designed.

Has anything else changed lately - tiering up, different clubs, etc?

• Garlen1
    6 Posts
    Thu, Aug 22 2019 2:15 PM

I guess what I want to know is whether the meter speeds for the ball and for the club are simply added together, and if so, can the resulting meter speed really be greater than 5.0? E.g., if the club's meter speed is 4.5, is there any point in having a ball with a meter speed greater than 1.0?

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Thu, Aug 22 2019 7:48 PM

Garlen1:
    if the club's meter speed is 4.5, is there any point in having a ball with a meter speed greater than 1.0?

Yes - if you want a slower meter.

Most preferable is to get all clubs with a similar meter speed so you get a consistent timing on the swing.  Then you can get balls that meet your budget and playing limits.

• VEM9000
    169 Posts
    Sun, Aug 25 2019 7:11 AM

Scientific evidence would suggest that the meter speed is directly proportional to that of the hamster drive unit. This has been discussed many times over in many different threads. Apparently, no one at WGT monitors the hamsters coffee intake ( erratic speed ) or what foods give them the hiccups ( jumpy meter ). Until such time as WGT scrapes together enough cash to hire a dietician, I'm afraid we'll all just have to live with it.

Vem:)

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sun, Aug 25 2019 8:11 AM

• handyman130
    12 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2020 2:37 AM

changed clubs updated from 5 to 3.5 meter now meter is on steroids unless i buy and use slow meter balls otherwise makes most games unplayable for me 

• Barberxxx
    1 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2021 11:02 AM

Hi. I’m currently using the Max L45.  The meter speed is 1.5. I thought it would be a slow meter but alas it’s very fast.  How can I slow it or is it better to get another set. It very hard to control. help please.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2021 9:25 AM

your club ball combo controls meter speed. With your level 45 Max irons and WGT tour -SD ball your ball club combo is 1.5 which is very fast. You could get a iron set with a higher meter speed., Higher being better, You could also get a better ball with a higher meter speed that would help slow the meter down, 

My ball club combo with the level 39 Callaway ERC soft ball at 2.5 and my Callaway Rogue Pro Irons at 4 gives me a meter speed of 6.5 which is pretty good for me. There are balls with much higher meter speeds which are slower, Some of the Bridgestone balls have meter speeds of 6 and 7 which would really slow the meter down. 

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2021 5:17 AM

borntobesting:

your club ball combo controls meter speed. With your level 45 Max irons and WGT tour -SD ball your ball club combo is 1.5 which is very fast. You could get a iron set with a higher meter speed., Higher being better, You could also get a better ball with a higher meter speed that would help slow the meter down, 

My ball club combo with the level 39 Callaway ERC soft ball at 2.5 and my Callaway Rogue Pro Irons at 4 gives me a meter speed of 6.5 which is pretty good for me. There are balls with much higher meter speeds which are slower, Some of the Bridgestone balls have meter speeds of 6 and 7 which would really slow the meter down. 

I agree with all you say Joe , but my belief has always been to try and get the best clubs with the meter speed you like , so that the need to buy the expensive slow meter balls is eliminated , or at least reduced. Clubs are after all a one off expense . But I know others may think differently. 

RSS