Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Please make tournaments fair

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 30 2009 5:38 AM (6 replies)
  • Futures
    79 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2009 6:09 PM

Hi.  This is not a complaint,  just a suggestion.

Anyone can see that, for the most part, tournaments and prizes are being won by a select few.  Naturally as more people join there will be more and more skilled players, more competition. Still, the majority will never shoot low enough to win prizes and compete against those who easily maintain a 60 or better scoring average.

I think more people would join WGT if they really believed they had a chance of actually winning some prizes each week.  I will give suggestions in another post.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2009 6:25 PM

It's kind of misguided to equate the select few who win tournaments with a lack of 'fairness'.

We all have access to the same clubs and play the same courses under the same conditions.

Explain how that isn't fair?

The way to win more prizes is to practice,  get better, and execute.  Expecting WGT to 'do' something about it is definitely not the answer.  This isn't a game where we all need to win something to feel good about ourselves.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2009 7:07 PM

The Pro tier is coming soon.

Though I suspect then we'll get the "sandbagging"  threads and a new set of names.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, May 19 2009 5:08 AM

Please see this thread... I touched on this issue a bit.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/1950/8921.aspx#8921  

• Futures
    79 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 4:59 AM

My point was not necessarily that the game is unfair to the majority.  My point was that, since this website is a money making business, then WGT would make more money if more people actually believe they have a chance to win. But also, that is what handicaps are for in golf.   If handicaps were applied, then the tournaments would be fair.  Everyone does not have an equal chance because everyone is not equally skilled nor will they ever be.

• Futures
    79 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 5:23 AM

Wait...This is a video game...Those who win often here can in no way be compared to real PGA Tour players (LOL). Those who win often here may say the majority needs to practice more.  Well... of course!...they want to win all the prizes.  But remember, it's just a video game. This is a public arena and everyone needs an equal chance to win (better for the website, in my opinion).   And yea,  Tiger Woods would tell me (go practice some more) if I played him one on one...right?  Wrong! I would apply my handicap and have a real shot of beating him.  I am not writing this out of anger or jealousy directed towards those who play this game really well...you guys are great! No doubt. But this website is not the PGA tour and can't be governed as though it were, with the belief that anyone who registers is now a member of the elite PGA...with an equal chance of winning (it's not gonna happen)

1,644 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 5:38 AM

Okay I'll give you that... I can see that a lot of people are getting discouraged when they see the same names at the top of the leaderboards week in and week out.  But it looks like this is all about to change with the implementation of the new tier system.  Granted right now it's a little confusing how they determined some of the rankings, but I'm sure they are working on it and hopefully they reset all the averages and make everyone earn their tiers again.  What I would like to see, and I think it has been suggested before is, for the top tier, no handicap, just the masters going at it.  Tiers below could use the handicap system, but keep in mind that the prize values should be exponentially lower to discourage sandbagging.  I'm all for everyone having a chance, but you still have to earn it!

Lee

RSS