Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Yikes, SPOILER ALERT

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:40 PM (39 replies)
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:56 AM

I'll most likely be there too King, lets hope the weather holds, but it doesn't look good.....

I'm hoping he turns it around and at least stays in the hunt, but that doesn't look good right now either.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 9:31 AM

VanHalenLover:

I'll most likely be there too King, lets hope the weather holds, but it doesn't look good.....

I'm hoping he turns it around and at least stays in the hunt, but that doesn't look good right now either.

Good to know one of my fellow WSGA golfers will be there, as of right now, were the only two on this site that i know will be attending.  What days do you have tickets for?

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 10:58 AM

I don't know yet King, waiting to hear back from the ticket holder for more details. Someone else canceled and we were the backup, lol - no more details just yet..... I'm assuming he has daily tickets, but knowing him he might already be down there with the Wanamakers, just don't know! No WSGA member here, just a fan.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:41 AM

VanHalenLover:

I don't know yet King, waiting to hear back from the ticket holder for more details. Someone else canceled and we were the backup, lol - no more details just yet..... I'm assuming he has daily tickets, but knowing him he might already be down there with the Wanamakers, just don't know! No WSGA member here, just a fan.

By WSGA Member I was stating the WSGA handicap members

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:59 AM
    While I think that Bobby Jones was the greatest golfer of all time, he had a very limited playing career and won the grand slam which at the time was the comprised of the US and British Opens and Amateurs so two of those tournies could not even field the best golfers in the world. Looking longer back you see Vardon as probably the first great golfer in the world after the game developed. Old and young Tom Morris probably were the best during the time before Vardon. Then you have to look at players like Snead, Hogan, Hagen, etc. all of whom were very good but not up to the level of Jones and Vardon. Palmer, Player, Watson are all greats in the 60's through 80's. Wood was the dominant player from 1999 to 2009 without a doubt but will he continue, who knows. All that was said to bring up one point....until someone wins more majors than Jack Nicklaus then I think this discussion should be at an end.
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 2:53 AM

It was weird watching Tiger practice at the PGA Championship with his swing coach holding a golf club on his head. This is a guy who is a devout worshiper of the cult of professionalism. Even his lovers were professionals!

Contrast the golf-club-on-the-head thing with the self-taught Bubba. How refreshing!

Bobby Jones probably stayed an amateur because under the code of the Southern social elite professionalism was in poor taste.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:17 AM

zagraniczniak:
    It was weird watching Tiger practice at the PGA Championship with his swing coach holding a golf club on his head

I must have missed that session on the range.  The only time I saw him on the range was Friday when it was really, really windy and he had Stevie (his caddie) holding a club to his head while he practiced some low punches into it...

How much did you think that Stevie wanted to bean him, just once, for all the crap that he's caused?

"Oops, sorry Tiger, it slipped."

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 3:43 PM

Apparently he hit his best round of the year today, with a 65. A fluke, or is the worst past him now?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:12 PM

Pangaea:

Apparently he hit his best round of the year today, with a 65. A fluke, or is the worst past him now?

To be fair, perhaps it's a bit of both.  The divorce is settled, Elin's story is out in People and there's nothing there than can incriminate him (... that only cost him 9 digits), and now he can line up all the Perkin's skanks he wants...  Oh, and the course is playing fairly easy.

We'll see where it goes from here.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:40 PM

Snaike:
    Technology.  Today's golf technology makes normal golfers look like gods (small g) when compared to generations past.  One would have to imagine what pure ball strikers like Vardon, Hagen, Hogan, Snead et al, could have done with today's equipment before you could claim Eldrick was better (and could hit shots that no other pro dreamed of.)  I wonder how well Moe Norman could have done with Tiger's bag of sticks?

its the same with my favorite game, tennis (ouch it hurts already) can imagine kramer, smith, johnie mac playing federer on nadal with the cannons they have now

RSS