Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Golf Balls Are Too Expensive by Nordglanz

Tue, Mar 15 2022 4:14 PM (58 replies)
  • HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2021 4:38 AM

Here's a thought for those who complain about costs involved in playing WGT: play PGA Tour 2K21.  No cost for equipment, balls or apparel.

But........ you do need a computer with the right video card to stream on Steam. Or a PlayStation.  Or an XBox. And the game itself. No other costs otherwise. 

There are always options in life you just have to choose which ones you are willing to take.

• Schizolocal
    1 Posts
    Thu, Nov 25 2021 4:20 AM

Can I make an observation here?

A large proportion of the arguments above seem to make comparison between WGT and real golf, as if they are comparable at all. Yes, to succeed in WGT, it helps to have played real life golf, and I can imagine (perhaps wanly) that playing WGT will help me on a golf course (I have the same hope for flight simulators!).

But no, they are not the same or even close.

If you want a 4-5 mile exercise hike with a golf bag, and back-slapping banter with three friends whose family histories you care about, and weather the wind, rain and discomfort of a plummeting thermometer, or bask in the sunshine while marvelling at the natural beauty of the landscape, checking every now and again your step-counter as often as your bogey counter, then please, as we all do, measure the cost-benefit of those green fees and equipment/apparel/ball acquisitions that apply.

But please do not compare that experience with sitting behind a monitor screen on your own with a half-consumed can of lager by your side, chatting occasionally in WGT-speak.

Consider, if you must, the business model of the WGT developers, who do not have to look after real courses, with expensive mowers, aerators, watering systems, cow-dung collectors etc, and engage the permanent staff to use them. Instead, they have the ludicrously expensive marketing departments and ill-regarded development teams, plus a bit of infrastructure for hosting the games. I doubt these costs are any more comparable than the experiences that result.

I play with starter equipment except when offered free rentals. My experience is with playing a computer game that is somewhat akin to playing golf. It is not golf. If I want to improve my golf, I practise and/or buy better golf gear - if I want to improve my WGT playing, I practise and/or buy better virtual gear. Real golf gear is not virtual golf gear.

WGT try hard to make the game appear as life-like as they can, and perhaps the equipment costs are too high. But there's nothing to be gained by comparing them to real equipment costs.

Rant over.

• Charlie21402
    12 Posts
    Wed, Jan 12 2022 9:41 AM

Totally agree. If you want to have fun just play with whatever you want for free..if you want to do well buy loads of expensive crap and make wgt richer..the choice is there..no one forced to buy anything

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Jan 12 2022 10:36 AM

Charlie21402:

Totally agree. If you want to have fun just play with whatever you want for free..if you want to do well buy loads of expensive crap and make wgt richer..the choice is there..no one forced to buy anything

Well, that can't be correct.

It makes too much sense! 😉

• rjteeithi
    674 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2022 10:15 PM

Balls are getting as useless as coins. Just knock the rock about the courses. 

Nothing seems to be precise in the game so why spend?

Oh and by the way, ever get WGT to fix anything reported?

sure you have

• callaghan159
    6,220 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2022 12:48 PM

rjteeithi:
    ever get WGT to fix anything reported?

I reported my toilette wasn't working and guess what, they sent a plumber over right away.💪. Cheers

• ct690911
    7,194 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2022 1:01 PM

Robert1893:

Charlie21402:

Well, that can't be correct.

It makes too much sense! 😉

The only club that has to be upgraded is the driver. This is because, as a player tiers up and moves back on the tees, there are some fairways that become unreachable with the starter driver. The only other point I would make is if a player plays Alt shot, there is a certain amount of peer pressure to buy better equipment so as to not hold the team back.

@ Brian- I thought you Maritimers still used outhouses?...lol

• callaghan159
    6,220 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2022 4:06 PM

ct690911:
    if a player plays Alt shot, there is a certain amount of peer pressure to buy better equipment so as to not hold the team back.

I got the top equipment and still hold the team back. I just suck...plain and simple. Cheers

• ct690911
    7,194 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2022 4:14 PM

callaghan159:

ct690911:
    if a player plays Alt shot, there is a certain amount of peer pressure to buy better equipment so as to not hold the team back.

I got the top equipment and still hold the team back. I just suck...plain and simple. Cheers

My good friend, you jest. We both know that you got plenty of game..:)

RSS