Forums

Help › Forums

Re: BMW PGA from Wentworth.

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 26 2013 11:09 AM (5 replies)
  • courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 4:10 AM

It'd be great to have this course on here. A great line-up but it's cold and it's raining of course. 

index.html

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 4:45 AM

I agree. I've been to watch the PGA for years now. I also watched the World Matchplay when it was held there. I watched the late, great, Severiano Ballesteros play in a third place play off. He got more crowds following him than the final. I saw Tiger play there once.

Matchplay was always held in October, so the organisers were alway taking a chance with the British weather. At that time of the year, trees would start dropping their leaves, so they always had to be cleared from the greens. Players would often have to remove them from their line. Having said that, I've been to the PGA in May and it's been so hot I've got burnt.

Wentworth is just down the road from me. It's just started raining, very windy and cold. It's a nice course, not the best for a spectator. Each hole is individually tree lined, so you can only see one hole at a time. I know a lot of American courses are more open, so you can view several holes at once. Hole 2 is a nice short Par 3, good viewing behind the green.  Finishes with two closing Par 5s. Best place to finish watching is the 17th with the final pair. Good viewing around the green and you can see them hit their second or third shot. Most matchplays finished there. Then there is a stampede of spectators trying to get down to see the 18th, but you never get there quick enough. Players tee off before you get there and you can only access one side of the fairway. By the time you get to the 18th green it's full. If you know which holes to watch you are fine. I saw Luke Donald win it last year, that got him to World Number 1. I managed to follow him for most of his final round. Also saw Rose last year, he was in contention final round, but drifted away.

I've also played it on Tiger Woods on the WII. The course is exactly how they've done it. They make a few alterations over the years. Ernie Els makes the changes. I've watched him play there many times. He put a little stream in front of the 18th. I think that caught out Westwood last year. He was in the final group with Donald, played the perfect shot into the green, but just couldn't hold and rolled back into the water.

I would really like to play it on here.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, May 26 2013 9:29 AM

3 way play-off in glorious sunshine. Al tied on -10

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, May 26 2013 10:43 AM

What a playoff on that Par 5 18th!

Warren out of the race at the first extra hole with two penalty strokes, Manassero and Khan would halve thrice with Birdie, Par, Birdie (double sand save there) before Khan fell short with his approach on the forth, into the burn, and Manassero hit the green in two and birdied.

Thrilling minutes!!

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, May 26 2013 10:58 AM

Manassero played some great golf. It was a shame to see Westwood nosedive.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, May 26 2013 11:09 AM

yep!

While I learned that amateur golf is "avoid errors" to a good percentage, it was interesting to see the same truth there.

Westwood hit two hooked drives in a row to fall back, and Manassero was the only one not to make any error to win the playoff.

Another "youngest player" (in that tournament) to win, witnessed by his Ryder Cup captain!

RSS