Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Cross Wind Calculations

Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM (109 replies)
  • KenBTEXAS
    281 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 12:34 AM

all factors being equal, has anyone found wind aim different on a tail wind v head winds.

"all factors" Meaning same wind angle, same distance, and same spin. Just opposite direction.

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 9:17 AM

KenBTEXAS:

all factors being equal, has anyone found wind aim different on a tail wind v head winds.

"all factors" Meaning same wind angle, same distance, and same spin. Just opposite direction.

I believe the Tail will need more adjustment than the head wind does but spin changes this drastically for my set up.

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,866 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 11:07 AM

KenBTEXAS:

I've played about 7,000 Head to Head matches, and through trial and error, use the following formula. With time ticking (45 seconds) I get a decent answer and get reasonably close to the hole. My record is 4,452 wins and 2,166 losses for a 67.27%.

- If the wind is against me, I take the distance to the flag, divide by 180, multiply the results by .666 and add the results back to the distance to the flag.

- if the wind is behind me, I take the distance to the flag, divide by 180, multiply the results by .5 and add the results back to the distance to the flag.

Why 180? Just a guess on my part, but it seems to work.

Also, elevation must be added or subtracted from the results.

(And I get it done within the 45 seconds!)

Hey, it's a start, right?

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 4:45 PM

DuFussMcGoo:
    I've played about 7,000 Head to Head matches.

My record is 4,452 wins and 2,166 losses for a 67.27%.

curiosity is making me ask....Where are you getting those numbers from?

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,866 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 5:23 PM

PureGro1:
    curiosity is making me ask....Where are you getting those numbers from?

In my previous life (working for the man), I was in A/R and Credit in a big retail company...a "bean counter". I've carried over the lunacy to WGT in that I actually count the wins and losses from Head to Head matches "one by one" then count daily, weekly and monthly W's, L's and F's (forfeits) on an Excel spreadsheet'

Exciting crap, right?

PS Wins and Losses counted by WGT is not an accurate count since they miss most of the forfeits (but you knew that).

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2022 7:19 AM

DuFussMcGoo:
    Exciting crap, right?

Wow, ya man...never even thought about doing that but figured you must have a counting system working.

So, If I read your reply right...You add more for a head wind (in your face) than for a tail wind is this correct? 

What I think Ken was asking is If everything else is equal "Do you add more/less/same for side wind depending on weather it is head or tail wind?" 

IE: 180yd shot 0 elevation 10mph wind blowing from behind you at 1 o'clock vs same shot with 10mph wind blowing toward you at 5 o'clock

Do you use same side wind adjustment for both shots?

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2022 10:01 AM

KenBTEXAS:

If you mean Ken, 1 o'clock wind vs 11 o'clock or 7 o'clock vs 5 o'clock, the answer is no, i don't see any difference in aiming point as long all the factors are the same.

• KenBTEXAS
    281 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2022 12:58 PM

almost.

I was saying that a 1:30 wind requires more aim than an equal 4:30 wind.

The same wind opposite directions.

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2022 2:01 PM

KenBTEXAS:

almost.

I was saying that a 1:30 wind requires more aim than an equal 4:30 wind.

The same wind opposite directions.

Then sure it does Ken!!! A 1.30 wind will keep the ball low, meawhile a 4.30 will keep the ball more up to the air. Apex way different.

PS

Probably you mean 1.30/7.30 winds.

• KenBTEXAS
    281 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM

yes, you taught me this.

It is logical.

However I have not observed this result on the golf course which is why I ask.

RSS