Re: Name 3 surprises from the Open...

Mon, Jul 19 2010 11:07 AM (6 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 1:43 PM

For me, the 3 surprises were....

The winner, of course... Louie WHO?!?

Mark Calcavecchia throwing up a +5 and a +8 to finish almost last

Rory McIlroy coming back after his 80 in round 2... 

And for a bonus... I am really surprised that Eldrick T. Woods actually finished the round when he doubled the 4th on Sunday.... I was sure that some "mystery illness" was about to come up and he'd have to be excused.

• DightonBlue
    42 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 1:52 PM

I'm not so surprised that TW finished the round.  I think, in light of his recent woes, he may be trying to re-vamp his image to show a more humble and hard-working side of himself.  Am I reading his new public persona right or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 5:03 PM

Im,Surprised the flags stayed in the holes on day 2

• joeydelo
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 5:38 PM

The greatest was Louie with the eagle to go 16 under, and the rebound off the wall by< I forgot

• Valrec
    70 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 7:06 PM

I agree with all your surprises, especially  Rory McKilroy's 63, and come back after his 80, Louis Oosthuizen's eagle and 16 under, and the flags staying in on Friday! : ). Was kinda surprised by the amount of ball-movement on the greens on Friday too...joey it was Jimenez who did that crazy wall-shot : )

I'll add these three:

Rickie Fowler's long putt for birdie on the 17th

Amateur Jin Jeong's excellent performance, finishing T14th,

John Daly's trousers (US - pants), though they shouldn't be a surprise anymore, lol!

There were many others, it's all a bit of a blur at the moment, I watched so much of the coverage!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 8:18 PM

joeydelo:
    the rebound off the wall by< I forgot

That was a great shot. It was Miguel Ángel Jiménez.

It was cool watching Paul Casey playing well, and making some great shots. I actually thought he had a chance to win it.

And of course poor Phil choking on what some said where amateur mistakes.

• TarheelsRule
    5,469 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 11:07 AM

The shot by Jimenez was the highlight in terms of a single shot.

Daly coming back to contend in the Open and finish decently was a story.  The class act of the tour, Tom Watson playing not as well as last year but coming close to the cut line and saying goodbye was my favorite moment.....highlighted by Tom almost pitching in for eagle on 18.

Louie was the real story though.

RSS